7 weeks post op, no complications (LONG)

Crystal82
on 2/24/14 8:55 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14

Well I had my surgery Jan 6 2014 and other then the pain for about the first week, week and a half my recovery has really been uneventful.

Learning to eat again and working my way through the stages and finding foods that I liked  was as expected! I dealt with buyers remorse for the first 5 weeks but that was my own burden to bear and I think mainly because I was morning the loss of my old life. I really truly think that no matter how much you prepare mentally, physically and emotionally you can never truly understand the extreme changes ur mind body and sole are going to go through. 

I have had no issues with food everything I have tried has been tolerated well by my new pouch although I really haven't pushed the envelope yet. I try to be very awear of the sugar, carb, calories and sodium content of the food I am eating and preparing. I have been trying new healthy recipes every chance I get in oder to find new favourites for me and my family's everyday life. 

I have been very lucky and have had an amazing support system since the day of my surgery (pre op I had some tug and pull with the bf but he has really stepped up). I was off work for a total of 6 weeks and used that time to focus all my energy into changing the way I looked at life in general and changing myself for good. The first 3 weeks were about rest and eating. The last 3 weeks were about developing healthy habits. I was going to the gym 5 days a week and building up my cardio and strength (my surgeon ok'd exercising and just told me to listen to my body), so thats what I did if I ever felt like I was pushing it to much I toned it down. 

Last Tuesday I went back to work (travel from Newmarket to Toronto via GO train) it's been a little rough but sitting here now on the train with a week under my belt it seems to be getting a little easier. Doing 3 to 4 gym days a week now.

I stalled at 3 weeks out for just over 2 weeks (no one told me that was common) I thought I was going to to blow up my scale!! Made it past that and started loosing again. Thank the Lord! 

I dealt with a crazy bout of constipation last week which made me feel a little less like myself but again made it through that and am smiling on the other side. I'm chalking that up to the sudden changes to my everyday life  (going back to work, eating on a different schedule and of course stress). OH yeah couldn't lose a lb last week to save my life and that damn scale and I were about to have it out again lol.but this morning finally she decided to show me a different number then I had been seeing all week, another 2lbs gone forever!

I saw a post from yesterday asking about where all the post -ops go after surgery and honestly I'm here everyday, a few times a day but I have really thrown myself into changing my life so I can become the me that I have always known I was but just couldn't find. I have a long ways to go but I'm in it for the long haul. Doesn't help that I have a sister who is 2years post op And is doing fantastic! 

Well I started my journey on Dec16 at 289lbs. Was 269 on day of surgery and as of this morning I'm 238 lbs with a total loss of 51 lbs. I'm thinking I'm a slow looser but as long as I'm loosing I don't care at what speed it comes off! 

Sorry for the long post but thought I would share. 

Ps. The gym and I have a love hate relationship and my long days to and from work aren't helping that relationship but we do what we need to do!

Hope u all have a pleasant day!

Crystal

Surgery January 6, 2014!

franky13
on 2/24/14 9:35 pm

Keep up the great work!!

Referred September 2012, HHRH Orientation December 2012, Meet with surgeon January 2013, Meet with and testing with Dr Glazer May 2013, PATTS July 4, 2013 - 325lbs, Surgery HRRH August 1st, 2013 - 299lbs, second surgery late August 2nd to drain fluid, Discharged August 5th - 294lbs, reached 1/2 way to goal at 16 wks, MOM of three kids, married for 13 years :)

Patm
on 2/24/14 9:43 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

51 lbs is nothing to sneeze at. I think you are doing great. With a family and a long commute it can be hard. Does your gym have a place near your work? Maybe lunch would work for you. Whatever you are doing it is great

Crystal82
on 2/24/14 10:06 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/06/14

The gym is about a 10 min walk away from my office but I only get a half hour for lunch so that wouldn't work. :( but I have been walking to the train in the afternoon from the office and it's about a 20 min walk so that helps with a little exercise! 

Surgery January 6, 2014!

hibbyangel
on 2/24/14 11:42 pm - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

Awesome Job Crystal. I was about 3 months out before I lost 50 lbs. Changing your life is the main focus anyways.If you are working out and eating properly the pounds will come off eventually! :)

Sunny123
on 2/25/14 1:52 am
RNY on 12/05/13

Great write up - 51 pounds is awesome - I am 58 at almost 12 weeks...go easy on yourself, you're doing great!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

betony63
on 2/25/14 9:17 am

51 pounds? That's AMAZING!  

GUELPH. Referral: Dec 6/13. Orientation: Mar 6/14, Post-op Diet Class: Sept 22/14, Meeting with Surgeon: Dec 2/14, Surgery: Jan 22/15

Blueiiis
on 2/26/14 10:11 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

That is awesome! I can't wait to be where you are.  

Keep up the good work 

Yoyo4life
on 2/28/14 3:06 pm - Brampton, Canada
RNY on 01/08/14

im happy for you as always as you kno... and im happy we have each other to go through this journey...i kno we can do great things...we can do this!!!

Referral sent: Aug/30/2013 Orientation: September/24/2013 Nurse Appointment: September/30/2013 Social worker Appointment: October/7/2013 Psychologist Appointment:Oct/11/13 Dietician Appointment:Oct/21/13 Nutrition Class: Oct/29/2013 Surgeons Appointment: Nov/22/2013 PATTS: December/13/2013 Surgery date: January/08/2014

Most Active