Memory

bgodfrey
on 2/25/14 6:46 am - Canada

Hello Everyone,

Tomorrow is my orientation at TWH.  I've been thinking of the reasons I am considering WLS.  There are the usual - energy, improved health, control diabetes, high blood pressure, look better in clothes, but the one change I hope to experience is improved memory.

I know it is an unusual one but I have been experiencing an impact on my memory over the last couple of years and through reading found that obesity has been connected to memory issues.

I know there can be other reasons but has anyone noticed an improvement in memory or even productivity at work since their weight loss?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Barbara

chipmunk_roasting
on 2/25/14 10:35 pm, edited 2/25/14 10:35 pm - Ottawa, ON, Canada

It's fairly common, in my experience.  I don't know your age, but as an almost 65-year old, memory issues are a personal concern.

One thing to consider, and I'm sure you have, is that should we have sleep apnea, as I do, there's a *huge* correlation between that and mental alertness, including memory.  Part of the preparatory process for WLS might, for you, include sleep testing.  If apnea's involved, there's a real link to improved functioning once treatment begins.

Just a thought ...

mm (thirteen months out, still has sleep apnea, and dilegently uses her CPAP machine every night) m

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Most Active