My Experiences at Ottawa's WMC

Jiliana2
on 2/23/14 9:31 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Having just sent a long e-mail to a friend on this site, I thought I would share what I wrote so others could have some information if you are preparing for surgery in Ottawa. 

My PATTS appointment was exactly one week before my surgery. Another patient's PATTS was four days before surgery. It will be the week before the surgery takes place and for me, it was about two hours in length. They started by having me go to admitting on the main floor with my insurance information, etc. Just an FYI, if you are married, bring your spouse's information as well and they can take that too, if you are covered under anyone else's plan. After I was done at admitting, I took the elevators upstairs. There, after a 5-10 minute wait, I met with a gentleman *****corded all of my current medications into my electronic file. They want to be sure they have everything correct; I suggest bringing your medications with you so they can get the information easily. Less detail for you to have to remember too! Then I saw an anaesthetist. He and I spoke at length because of the fears I have about needles and IVs. He was very reassuring. He wanted to check my teeth, had me open my mouth wide, etc., to see if I had dental work he needed to be careful with, and that sort of thing. He was great. Then I saw a nurse. She went through the booklets that they had given me about what would happen on the day of my surgery, etc. She answered all the questions I had. While I spoke with her, another nurse came in to do an ECG. Just a quick check of heart rates and patterns to make sure they had current information. It took less than two minutes and it's easily done on the bed in the room you will be in. Just a matter of lying down and they hook up the nodes for a 1 minute recording. And blammo. She was finished. The last person I saw took blood work so they had current values on file. That was difficult for me (needed a few sticks, lying down, etc.... remember the fear I have of needles?!) and that was done and I was outta there. Two hours in total. Not too bad all in all. 

The OR on the day of the surgery:

I went with my husband in the morning to the designated waiting area. I was there before it opened at 6 a.m. and there were a lot of folks coming for day surgery too. (It's 'day surgery' but we get admitted for a night or two while most of the others head home.) So they put a hospital ID on my wrist, and Hubby and I headed through a door to the back area where I was given a bed. They closed the curtain and I stripped down and put on the gown they gave me. We get a Bariatric or Bari Bed (wider and set up for people who are larger) and Hubby had a chair to sit in next to the bed. I got under the blankets and I was chilled; they gave me warm blankets. I had a nurse come and talk to me there, verify the information on the computer next to the bed that was in my file, and they gave me a valium (or similar) type of medication so I could relax a little because I was so nervous about the IV. They had me put on booties on my feet, and a hair covering for my hair, and when it was time, Hubby kissed me good bye and a porter wheeled me off to just outside the OR. There, I saw my doctor, assisting surgeon, nurses, and I met the anaesthetist who would give me the IV. He'd read my chart and he promised he wouldn't do the IV until I was in the OR and settled. He was Scottish; lovely fellow. I do remember that. Funny as anything. 

They had me get down from the bed, and walk into the OR with a sheet over my back, covering the opening of the gown. I walked in and got up on the table myself, and they undid the back of the gown to give them access to my tummy when the time came. It was there that I chatted a bit more with the nurses, anaesthetist, surgeons, etc. They put in the IV, put a mask over my face and before I knew it, I was out. 

I woke up in recovery; Hubby isn't allowed back there. He tells me that he left the hospital and came home. My surgery was for 8 a.m. and they called him at 8:56 a.m. to say that everything was good, and I was on the way to being awake and I was in recovery. He had to call back around noon to get my room information. He called at 12:15 and they told him that I still didn't have a room, but he went to the hospital anyway and by the time he got there, I was in a room.

The bari patients are only two per room. There is no other option. Two beds per room and two rooms. They are located in the Trauma (aka Secure) unit. You have to ring to get inside and the nurses can push a button to open the doors. Hubby saw me early that afternoon and stayed for an hour or two before leaving for home again. That evening, he came back with our 4-year old daughter and by the evening, I was drinking apple juice mixed with water and a bit of chicken broth. 

It was SUPER quiet because we are in the Trauma unit. I didn't need ear plugs. It was very good. But to each his/her own. Bring them if you wish and know you may not need them. Rules regarding visitors: It's a secure area. As long as you have only one visitor, he/she can stay later than the 8 p.m. curfew. Especially your husband. That's not a problem. He came back the next day and helped me take a shower in fact. There's a toilet and sink in your room (for the patients only) and a shower in another room in the Trauma unit with loads of space to have someone assist  you to wash up. 

I hope this all helps you. I know how nerve wracking it all can be. But hang in there. You can get through it. So many of us do and you will do great! By all means, if you have any other questions, do get in touch. I'll only be too glad to help you and try to answer anything that might be nagging at you. 

For anyone going through Ottawa, I hope this provides you some information. And that goes for anyone; feel free to contact me via message if you have any questions at all about experiences at Ottawa's Weight Management Clinic. 

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Swampy1976
on 2/23/14 9:47 am - Marmora, Canada

Thanks for sharing all that it is nice for us newbies to read!

Zizzler
on 2/23/14 12:10 pm

Thank you for posting this, it is really helpful comforting to have these details.  I had been wondering about the room setup in particular, so that is good to know.

aamber02
on 2/23/14 1:29 pm

Wow, thank you so much for sharing! I am hoping to have surgery in the next few months and this post was really helpful. Good luck on your recovery, sounds like your husband is a great support and that you are very strong and determined to rock this lifestyle!

Referral: July 11, 2013         Surgery: July 14, 2014

Sunny123
on 2/23/14 9:05 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

Very good account of what happens at Ottawa. I needed ear plugs as alarms go off the monitors and it is very noisy!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Julie99
on 2/24/14 8:33 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Wow, that is one hell of a post!  Thank you so much for all your details.  Very much appreciated.

Referral: June 26, 2013  Confirmation: July 4, 2013  Orientation(OWMC) Sept.13, 2013  Nurse: Dec. 3, 2013  Nut/Beh: Jan. 28, 2014  Pre-surgical class: Feb. 26, 2014  Meet Surgeon: March 18, 2014  PAU: July 11, 2014  Surgery with Dr. Yelle: Aug. 11, 2014              

hockeydad2013
on 2/24/14 11:36 am - Canada

I had my surgery in Ottawa, and it was great. I fell in love with those beds, They are like giant air mattresses. I was there on a Friday for surgery and left Sunday, they said I could leave Saturday as I had no pain and was walking etc. There was one roommate for me and one patient in the whole section and my nurses couldn't have been better. 

My only complaint is I have a hairy chest and my surgeon never shaved me before putting on the bandages and the nurse on my one week visit had to take them off and she looked like she was going to cry having to take them off and ripping of the hair.

Now the fun begins and the new life awaits

Ottawa34
on 2/24/14 10:21 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Your post is informative and amazing.  Brought back a lot of memories from the morning of my surgery almost 3 yrs ago :) 

I hope you're doing well and no complications in your journey :)

Amy 

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

otmama
on 3/18/14 9:17 am
RNY on 04/30/14

Thanks so much for the post!  It really helps walk you through the whole process:)  Your detailed post is awesome - I always feel better when I know what to expect!  I hope you're doing well:)

Orientation Session:  April 2013  Sleep Study:  July 1/13  Abdominal Ultrasound: July 16/13  Endoscopy: October 23/13  Pre-Surgical Class:  Dec 11/13  Surgeon:  Jan 6/14  PATTS:  April 4/14 Optifast: April 9/14  RNY Surgery: April 30/14

Most Active