ADJUSTING TO CPAP

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/14 8:51 pm - Canada

Last night was my first night sleeping with my CPAP.  As expected, I had a less than stellar sleep.  The one positive thing I did notice though, is for the first morning in forever, I did not awake with a sore throat.  For those who have units, how long did it take you to adjust so you could get a good nights sleep?

Nanato2
on 2/15/14 9:07 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

It took me about a week I have the nose prongs so what I was doing was keeping my mouth open when I needed to make sure to close my mouth and breathe through my nose and once I figured that out I was good. However, since I had surgery I am having real hard time with it and I just had another sleep test to see if mine went away and it hasn't so I am stuck with the machine even if it has been turned down to a very low setting so I am going to start wearing it again because I have been sleeping like **** lately.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Sunny123
on 2/15/14 9:07 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I think it took me about 4 or 5 nights. Everyone is different. You will get the hang of it. I found taking a few deep breaths helped calm me down and I got into the swing of it. I cannot sleep without it now..

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

19star71
on 2/15/14 9:18 pm

It took me weeks to get used to it.

I never really feel refreshed in the morning, but not wearing it makes me feel worse. Without the mask, I wake up several times a night ( cause of the apnea) and wake up with a dry throat and mouth.

Good luck!

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/14 10:36 pm - Canada

I have the full face mask and I think the hard part for me was the strap at the back of my head just didn't feel comfortable.  Now I have a small knot in the back of my head.  No choice but to persevere I suppose!

JJ_
on 2/17/14 6:40 pm

Hiya,

You may need to speak with your CPAP provider to ensure that the correct portion of the strap is at the back of your head and not the part that goes over the top of your head.  When I had a repeat sleep test, during the evening the technician brought in the CPAP for me to wear and she had put the apparatus together wrong.  The part that should have been over the top of my head was at the back of my head and I had a knot at the back of my head.

Judy

taniagirlca
on 2/16/14 1:22 am

I have had mine for a few months and I still cant get used to it, i start off with it on but its off when I wake up, I must be taking it off in my sleep.!

Zizzler
on 2/16/14 4:41 am

Ha ha - I did the exact same thing at first, that is so funny!!

TurnThePage
on 2/16/14 1:40 am

Two things to help you quickly adjust.  Have the machine set to ramp up, beginning at a lower pressure and gradually increasing to the required setting within 15 or 20 minutes--when you are already asleep.  If there is something about the mask that is uncomfortable--fix it or change it!  There are plenty of options, so keep trying until you get the style and fit that are truly comfortable for you.  The professionals that give you the equipment should be a big help in this regard, but if not, keep pushing until you get what you need to get a good night's sleep. Your health depends on it!

(deactivated member)
on 2/16/14 1:58 am
RNY on 12/16/13

It took me a few days to get used to mine, I have a very high pressure setting and use a full face mask.  I can't sleep without my cpap now - I'll be getting an autoset cpap next week, to adjust pressures as I am losing weight.  Good luck!

Most Active