My Opti Adventure

19star71
on 2/10/14 6:31 am

I am half way through my Optifast adventure. 7 days down and 7 more to go!

It started off much different than I expected. I had read at least 100 different suggestions for getting the Opti down. Made sure I had lots of ice cubes, flavourings, 2 cups with lids and straws, a shaker cup and everything else I could think of. I'm not a chocolate fan, but figured it was probably better to get half and half.

With the prep work all done, I should be able to breeze through this right??? WRONG

Lessons learned:

1. Add your flavouring before mixing..not after!

Not all flavourings mix well. I put some Grape flavoured Disani drops into the shake.  It seemed to take quite a bit of stiring to mix it all in.  The first few sips went down smooth, but then it started to curdle. Once good gulp, of what I can only describe as grape flavoured chunky milk with the added texture of a jumbo stick of chalk, was enough.

2. Temperature does matter!

Some people swear by adding ice cubes.  As long as the water was cold that was good enough for me. I let one shake sit for 20 mins before drinking it. Warm opti tastes a little like vomit...enough said.

3. Don't be afraid of your blender!

Mix your opti and then mix it again. Shaker cups may do in a pinch, but it certainly doesn't do the same job as a blender. My one attempt with the shaker cup left my tongue and teeth covered in the chalky film.

The good news is I have finally figured out what works best for me and it should be smooth sailing from here out!!

Dinner tonight is chocolate opti with coconut extract..yum!

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

Coco2013
on 2/10/14 7:12 am

It sure is an adventure and good luck with the final week of your opti.  Unlike your comment about warn opti I actually prefer it warm   I mix mine with about half the required water blend till its a creamy mess and then add in a cup of hot chai tea and stir. Yumm I find this so much better warm than cold.I tried the Dasani drops added to ice cubes and water then add the mix made ugly lumps of purple goop. Yeah wasnt pretty going down. Lol but it didnt come back up.

Finding your personal favorite is a chore. Experiment til you find it.  Good luck everyone

RYMEBE73
on 2/11/14 12:04 am - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

When I did the non-surgical program, was on OPTI for 12 weeks...used to flavour the vanilla with the sugar free syrups you can get at Starbucks, loved their hazelnut!  tried the peanut butter one through a different supplier (can't recall the name at the mo) but it didn't do a thing for me.  I basically was fine with it just plain as well, just made sure the water was cold, and shaken the heck out of it.

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

Most Active