Federal Employees - medical coverage?

Amymay2
on 2/6/14 7:14 am

You don't have Short term disability with sunlife as a federal worker? Because my company previous used sunlife  and we had to use 3 sick  days then it would flip to short term because you tell them it's OHIP funded gastric bypass. A 2 girls got short term with work with sunlife as it must be stated OHIP funded gastric bypass. My company switch to Manulife and we have to us sick days for 5 day then it flip to short term disability and stated OHIP funded gastric bypass and mine was approve 2013.

but make sure you put OHIP funded. 

Zizzler
on 2/6/14 8:35 am

Thank you - I will ask my pay and bens person whether it matters if it is OHIP funded or not.  Thank you

Delicious_Delilah
on 2/6/14 7:44 am - Ottawa, Canada

Federal government employees don't have short term disability options as they bank sick days. They get one and a quarter days per month, and that accumulates over time. I always tell employees to use their sick days carefully, as one day they may need to rely on those. I think I had well over 100 days banked. The other option is to use your vacation days. You could ask your boss to advance you some sick days into next year as well as to use some of your vacation days into next year. They may be okay with that, but it will depend on the level of risk they are willing to take -- some are uncomfortable, because it's like giving an advance or because your Dept. frowns on that ( which they do, but there is some flex). Just don't count on it. 

good luck!

DD

Zizzler
on 2/6/14 8:45 am

Thank you Delilah! How I wish I had more sick days banked. Right now I have only 5 sick days banked.  I had 6 weeks banked at one time but I had to go on sick leave for 4 months and used them up at that time.  It is hard to get back to a decent number once you get back to zero.  I have only 1.5 vacation days left until the end of the fiscal year. After that I will have 3 weeks, so I could possibly use that. But then my vacation time is gone, which would not be good. Have you ever heard of income averaging?  I was thinking that might be the best way to go.  . 

Delicious_Delilah
on 2/6/14 2:38 pm - Ottawa, Canada

I think income averaging would normally be arranged beforehand. For instance, you could work a few extra hours every week in order to take time off -- if your manager agrees and operational requirements allow for it. But again, these types of arrangements are normally made in advance.  There might be a possibility that they could reduce your salary over several months to make up for the sick days, but that still means you're out of pocket (though not all at once) and will depend on both your relationship with your manager and whether they're okay with the risk.  

Instead of going straight to pay and benefits, I would start with your manager, especially if there's a good relationship there. They might be willing to go the extra mile for you with HR, but it really depends on the cir****tances of your workplace. 

DD

Most Active