Opti Trouble

Northernlightsmom
on 2/6/14 12:39 am, edited 2/6/14 12:47 am - Canada

I have been on opti now for 10 days and just in the last day or two....

I am so exhausted. Normally, I am pretty active and upbeat but this opti diet is wiping me out. I don`t remember a time when I had so little energy.  I know many of you have said that you feel good on this regime but I feel like I am not in the best physical state going into this surgery(however, I guess that is why I am going through all of this to begin with). I have been following the opti diet but can't always get that fourth one down. As a mom of three….I still need a little energy to get me through the day.  Just wondering if anyone else felt drained during the end of the opti?

Thanks for listening to me and sorry for sounding whinny                                                                                   but I really could use some advice or reassurance that this is normal.

Thanks so much,   a very sleepy momma bear

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

Katie M.
on 2/6/14 12:52 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Sorry you're feeling so run down :( It was normal for me - I felt hideous throughout the entire month I was on it. But if in doubt call your centre. It could be that you're working off more calories than your body is used to taking in, and it hasn't started using stored fat for energy yet in the hopes that you'll just feed it more. That's how my run down feeling was explained to me by my family doc but as I say, if you feel really crappy always get in touch with your centre. Try and get that 4th drink in if you can - that's where your extra calories will come in. My doc said if you need to nap, nap. If you need to sit down and rest, rest. I know it's hard with kids though.

You can get through it, and there's no shame in whining - I was impossible to be around for the whole time I was on Opti! Venting sometimes helps :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Northernlightsmom
on 2/6/14 1:22 am - Canada

Thanks Katie, I feel better knowing that I am not alone. I know that many of us on here have to do 3 and 4 weeks on opti and I have such a huge appreciation for how dedicated everyone of us has to be. So having only to do 2 weeks.....I felt like I shouldn't be complaining. I will make sure I get that fourth one in. Hope it makes a difference.Thanks again

Katie M.
on 2/6/14 1:38 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

Doesn't matter whether it's two weeks or four, if you're doing it, you're doing it! Everyone doing the Opti diet has a right to complain, lol ;) Just keep your end goal in mind and take a rest when you need it :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Zavz
on 2/6/14 3:09 am - Canada

I could barely get out of bed in the beginning of taking optifast. On the optifast website the call it the Optifast Challenge, if you can make it thru the first 5 days or something then they say it should get easier from there. I was 4 weeks and by the end it was easier, but still hard. Things are much easier after the surgery. Optifast was the hardest part for me.

lcard
on 2/6/14 4:52 am - Canada

i was on opti for 3 weeks and i found if i drank more water it helped with the fatigue. just my two cents

shoshanaApr2013
on 2/6/14 5:58 am
I hated every minute of my 3 weeks on Opti. I felt sick for about an hour and a half after every shake and had to force them down. I tried every trick in the book but couldn't get in more than 3 a day. When the Opti decided to make its exit I didn't get much notice -- there were some close calls! I was looking forward to surgery just so I could stop taking Opti!

Hang in there and do the best you can. Try to get in as much water as is comfortable between shakes... that seemed to help me a lot.

Good luck. You can do this!!! Keep your eyes on the prize!!!

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

Northernlightsmom
on 2/6/14 7:16 am - Canada

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and support... I am working on my fourth opti now and have increased my water. Four more days to go.

Teapooch
on 2/6/14 7:26 am - Canada

I am on optifast for 21 days and at about the 11th day i started to feel the exact same way... at that time i was finding it hard to get the 4th shake in during the day so i wasn't drinking it... That is why I was feeling the way i was... YOU HAVE TO GET THAT 4TH SHAKE IN NO MATTER WHAT!!! Your body was telling you it wanted to shut down to conserve what little calories you were getting.

Most Active