carb question/issue

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/14 6:33 am

ok -- so now i am just paranoid.

i was told by twh that i should eat a balance diet, being mindful to always place emphasis on protein. never once was i told to stay away from carbs or startches.  naturally, candy and refined startches are totally out (i can't manage them anyway).  most carbs (pita bread, brown rice, wraps) i can only eat in small amounts anyway because they do not sit with me easily. 

whenever i read from people on here about stalls ... i tend to read stuff about focusing on veggie carbs.  i cannot process veggies well!!  i steam them but then they get too soft and make me feel ill to my stomach.  lettuce and raw veggies are totally out for me right now as well.  

i have been reading my twh book ... and again the emphasis is on a balance diet -- not to the exclusion of breads and grains.  

i am wondering if there are people who are excluding breads and grains at the 3 month point and are only sourcing their carbs from veggies (i.e.: doing the Atkins).

i'm going to call TWH tomorrow i think .... even though my 3 month follow-up in is in two weeks ... i am wondering if there is something i am missing here. 

Leanne1
on 2/2/14 6:58 am - Newmarket, Canada

I never eat pita bread, it's toooo much for me. As for rice and pasta, for me, the only ones I can eat is from the chinese restaurant (I can eat a couple forkfuls of rice and the only noodles I can eat is chicken lo mein and that takes me 4 days to eat). I can eat wraps, with no problem. The only bread that I eat is usually weigh****cher bread or Wonder thin sliced sandwich bread.

Veggies, that is a whole other ball game for me; they don't agree with me. I can eat corn and peas, I get the frozen ones... Potatoes are ok for me and carrots are a hit and miss. 

At 3 months out, I generally ate crackers, fibre one bars and some other things...soups, chili.

I  focused on keeping my protein as high (100-120g/day) and my carbs real  low (30-60g/day) as I could. I tracked my foods for about 8months after sugery and now I can guestimate my portions and once in a while, I weigh something just to see if I am close and it is. 

Also, I go by NET carbs not FULL carbs (carb -fibre= net carb)

Even now, I get questioned by people why I don't eat more than I do. I eat til I feel full and stop. 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Nanato2
on 2/2/14 7:02 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I am a year this month and I just started back eating small amounts of bread still do not eat pasta, rice or potato however, this is my choice. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

birdiegirl
on 2/2/14 8:30 am

I had a nice long reply to you and my computer crashed.....arghh

in a nutshell....I really feel for you...its tough and confusing....your center and nut say one thing....and give you a list to follow whi*****ludes breads-potatoes-rice-pasta etc....and you come on OH and most advocate low low carb......so many contraditions

you have to follow your own journey....however, if it were me.....I would just try low carbing it for a week or two and see what happens......you must be terribly frustrated.....I really wouldnt worry too much re the veggies either.....if you like one or two...just eat them...maybe try not to worry about variety

I hope you are just in the mother of all stalls.....but I just feel its more and may be what you are eating....which I am sure is according to your plan...but might now work for you and your physiology....

There are some great vets on the VSG board that may be able to assist......I am glad you are second guessing....I would hate to see you continue on your present course and be disappointed....however......I could be completely wrong...and its not the eats but just a major stall

I really wish you good luck with it all

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/14 8:53 am

- hugs - thanks, Birdie -- so much.  I am going to email my dietician at twh and see what she says.  i have lost a total of 3 pound in the span of 3 weeks - with going back and forth between the three over the period of time.  I know have fel****er retention through-out this period though (first thing in the morning).  i think i will post ot the vsg board as well -- thanks.

Leanne1
on 2/2/14 10:34 am - Newmarket, Canada

Lorraine and Katie are awesome!! ( I can't speak about Mary cuz I have not met or had her before; but I have heard about her).

How much water/ fluids are you drinking every day?

I would definitely do a "lower carb" menu for a week or two (as Barb also suggested). It can easily be done ;) You will notice a difference by cutting the carbs down/out. Planning is key ;)

If it were me, I would do a menu like this:

B- 2 eggs (scrambled) w/some shredded cheese

L- tuna (mixed with a little bit of hellman's mayo) sandwich on weigh****cher bread OR chili

D- Chicken and a tolerable veg (for me, it's corn or peas)

snacks- nuts, fibre bar, protein shake, hi protein pudding (no fat pudding made with milk and a scoop of protein powder) OR other HIGH protein foods

These are just some ideas.. (a one day menu persay). 

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/14 10:44 am

awesome - thanks!  :) 

interestly enough --- this really does sound a lot like what i am doing right now already.  but one thing i may be lacking in is protein -- perhaps if i bump that up i may see some changes ....

Leanne1
on 2/2/14 10:48 am - Newmarket, Canada

Also, Barb (birdie) posts the what are you doing/eating thread every morning.. post your daily menu there ...it will help ;-)

(deactivated member)
on 2/2/14 11:27 am

never noticed that -- thanks@!!!!!

Most Active