Stretched Pouch

nosugarforme
on 2/1/14 2:54 pm - Canada

Hello All,

I had RNY over 5 years ago in Michigan. (I am Canadian)   I'm wondering if I can have a scan to see if I have stretched my pouch.  Since I live in Ontario and about 2 hrs. from Toronto can I have the scan done there at no cost?  If so, do I just call a bariatric surgeon in TO to arrange a scan? 

I live closer to Kingston so is there a hospital in Kingston that could do the scan on a patient with RNY surgery?  Do I have to have my family doctor refer me?

Thank you in advance for your input! 

birdiegirl
on 2/1/14 8:34 pm

Hi

I suspect you have gained some weight?.....its tough eh?.......

I would go to your family doc and get referred to a Gastro doc......they can do a scan and check things out.....preferrably one with wls experience......

It really is pretty difficult to stretch your pouch....your stoma maybe.....is it that you are hungry more and can eat more?......

You might want to test yourself......try eating just dense protein - chicken for example....and see how much you can consume before you are full......I can handle about 4 oz and then thats enough of chicken.....but I can eat lots of slider type foods....bread, salad,yogurt etc etc........if you are full after the 4 oz then I would say your pouch is just fine

Last night in a restaurant I ate one piece of bread....few bites of ceasar salad.....4 oz of my steak....and a few bites of cauliflower mash......AND a few bites of my husbands dessert.....yeah thats a lot of food.,....but over a 90 minute period I can eat this no problem.......if I had begun with the steak......I might have managed 4-5 oz and then been done......unless we sat for awhile .....grazing type eating is a killer.....we can really eat a lot if we pace ourselvs.....and the bread-salad and dessert pass right thru it seems

Good luck....I am trying to lose some re-gain too.......pissed at myself.....but just had to get back up and carry on......

Diminishing Dawn
on 2/2/14 12:33 am - Windsor, Canada

Chances are that you have not. Often it is the choice of what we are eating and not a stretched pouch that causes regain.I can eat a lot and I'm 7.5 years out.  It's the choice of what I eat that will determined weight loss or gain.

I really suggest getting back to basics and working on doubling your protein to carb ratio.  Loading up on veggies and water between meals. 

Message me anytime if you'd like to chat.

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

slrm2m2
on 2/2/14 7:07 am - Canada

great advice,Dawn.  I'm very impressed to see that you are over 7 years out and still maintaining the weight loss.  I hope to be as successful as you.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

nosugarforme
on 2/3/14 2:10 am - Canada

Hi Dawn,

You are absolutely right.  My food lately is so unhealthy.  I know what to do but I keep putting it off thinking I will start again tomorrow. You know the last meal thinking!   One of the worst things I started doing was drinking coke zero after three years of not drinking it.  So stupid.....I know!

Catw
on 2/3/14 3:05 am - Arnprior, Canada

Hi there!  As others have said, you probably haven't stretched your pouch.  You probably just need to get on track.  First thing to do is to get back to basics.  I know it's hard, but it's the best thing to do.  Journaling, measuring, etc.  If you want to do a kickstart to get back on track, do the 5 day pouch test.  If you decide to do this and don't think you can be accountable to yourself.  Post on here when you plan on doing it and see if anyone will join you.  If you have even one person on here doing it with you, you'll have a harder time giving up. Information on the 5 day diet is at http://www.5daypouchtest.com/.  I mentioned that I was going to do this after new years, then a few days before starting I asked for people to join me.  I kept it up all week (with some bumps) because I was acountable to the group wether they posted or not.

A big thing I really suggest you doing, is going to a support group.  If you are close to Kingston, I think I saw a post saying that they are meeting on Feb 6th.  Look for the post.  None of us are perfect, but being around those who know what you are going through can really help.

Good luck!

Cathy

Most Active