getting discouraged

new_me180
on 1/28/14 1:25 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

I went for my 10 week visit with the nurse and NUT two weeks ago and according to the scale, I had gained seven pounds from when I was admitted to the hospital the previous week for scratches to my pouch and low potassium. The nurse said it was probably water weight as I had been given a few bags of IV's and I should loose it in a few days or so. I agreed as I was a little puffy as well. Well two weeks on and I went to the f/u with the surgeon, I'm still at the same weight and still have the same seven pounds on me. I must admit, I was a little upset and discouraged as I thought I had lost the "water" weight and a little bit more. I had even upped my water intake since then(up to 10 cups) and I exercise five days a week. I eat according to the meal plan and I don't get where I'm going wrong, I don't cheat or eat things I'm not supposed to eat. Although my plan calls for five to six meals a day, I usually do the five as that's all I can manage. I don't own a scale so, I don't obsess over the numbers but, when I don't see the scale go down during my visits, I do get upset.. I know I'm only three months out but, I just can't help fretting over the numbers. I know I didn't get this big overnight and don't expect to lose it overnight as well, but.....seeing the scale going down rather than up would be more encouraging.

What I'm happy about though is, that I have more energy than I've had in years. I am able to walk the treadmill without feeling like I'm going to die and at a faster pace too, lol. I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks

Katie M.
on 1/28/14 1:37 am, edited 1/28/14 1:38 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

It could be you are in the three month stall, you've added muscle with your workouts that weighs more, and you still have a bit of water weight hanging on. If your centre isn't concerned, try not to sweat it too much - just stick to your plan and keep pushing. I haven't lost more than three pounds this entire month, but I am down a whole jean size and have felt an energy surge. Try on some clothes that didn't fit well before or go to the store and try on a size smaller to see what happens - you could be losing inches even though you've gained a bit! 

You're right that it's important to remember that it took years and years to put this weight on, and it's not going to come off in six months. I know I expected big things for the first few months post-op and so far it's happened, but there are going to be pauses so your body can retune and collect itself, take a break, etc. It's trying to hang on to every cell of stored fat because we've been feeding ourselves like there is a famine coming for so many years. Eventually your body will let some more weight go, but in the meantime just pat yourself on the back for sticking to the plan and keep on doing what you're doing! Also don't forget that you are still healing internally, especially with the scratches to your pouch. But if you are feeling good, that's the most important thing :)

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

new_me180
on 1/28/14 10:00 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Katie, you're right. I have been buying smaller clothes the past few weeks. I went from a 4-5x to a 1-2x depending on the store. Some of the 2x's at old navy are actually a little big on me. I have a couple of jeans that I haven't worn in 8 eights yrs that fit now. Even a pair that didn't fit quite right right last week now fits.  For sure I'm losing but, not seeing it on the scale just threw me off. I keep working hard, CHUGG CHUGG. I must admit, I have tons of energy. Just spent two hrs at the Y and i'm still full of energy.

PS. you look good btw

Katie M.
on 1/28/14 10:29 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

I totally understand your scale frustration. I have been up and down all month, and it messes with your head. I think it's normal to feel frustrated and in the moment it's hard to talk ourselves out of it. But going from a 4x/5x to a 1-2x? CONGRATS!! That's pretty damn amazing progress! Two hours at the Y and you still have energy to burn? Incredible. Look at how far you've come in three short months, especially with the complications you had right from the start. You are obviously working really hard, and this time next year it will be a whole new you :)

PS- Thanks for the compliment :D

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

new_me180
on 1/28/14 11:04 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks Katie. I really am trying. Who knew I could turn away a cookie. Lord don't remind me of those complications. Worst evr, glad that over and done with.

(deactivated member)
on 2/1/14 8:41 pm

i really do get confused when the scale stays the same but my clothes fits looser.  a bit of a mind trip.  we have been so conditioned to focus on the numbers:  if the numbers goes up means wehave gained, numbers stays the same means we have not lost.  i don't quite understand the full details of how this all works -- but it really is daunting when thenumbers don't go down for weeks.  i really do get that.

i think we all need gentle remidners of this phenomena to help keep us mentally/emotionally on track.  

Catw
on 1/28/14 2:08 am - Arnprior, Canada

I agree with Katie, it does sound like your in the 3 month stall. Just keep what you are doing and the scale will eventually start moving.  I also agree that you should pay attention to your clothing and how it fits, including shoes.  I wouldn't be surprised if your clothes are getting bigger.  When the scale isn't moving, the measuring tape might be.  Also, check your salt intake, make sure it's low enough

Keep up the good work!

Cathy

new_me180
on 1/28/14 11:08 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

You're right. Clothes are much looser. Just went clothes shopping and boy did it feel good. I still have cankles though but, not like before, lol. I'll keep an eye out for the salt as well as sometimes it seems like I'm over seasoning. Thanks

birdiegirl
on 1/28/14 2:42 am

94 pounds in 3 months is pretty awesome kiddo.....just keep following the plan

new_me180
on 1/28/14 11:10 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Thanks. I lost 30 of those before surgery but yeah, that's a whole lot skinny person. I will continue to work hard.

Most Active