4 days post-op -- VETERANS: PLEASE HELP!

shoshanaApr2013
on 1/27/14 8:44 am
I'm 4 days post-op and really struggling. I hope there are some veterans out there that can give me some advice.

I'm supposed to be able to take in 60ml of liquids every 15 minutes and can barely do 30ml. I'm worried that I'm going to become dehydrated. Every ml hurts going down. 15 to 30 ml feels like I've eaten a 20 lb turkey. It's really uncomfortable to the point of being painful (in addition to the typical post-op pain that I expected).

I called the Centre and asked them if this was normal and I got the same answer to every question: "everyone is different... come in if it doesn't feel normal". But how am I supposed to know what "normal" feels like?

I'm really frustrated, exhausted, and worried that I've made a huge mistake. I know that in order to get better I need to get some nourishment and protein in, but I'm really, really struggling.

Veterans: PLEASE HELP! Is this normal?

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

Amarachi
on 1/27/14 9:28 am - Canada

I am one week out today, i am on full fluids and am only allowed to take max 30ml (2tbsp) every 15 minutes.  I stay on this plan for 2 weeks then progress to pureed where i can up it to 60ml every 15 minutes.

From what you've said it looks like you are taking in double the amount and that could be causing your discomfort.

I went through Humber so maybe that is why my instructions are different.  Please verify your written material and i hope you feel better soon.

Orientation HRRH Oct 21,13 / Surgeon Nov 1,13 / SW,RD,RN, Internist Dec 3,13 / PATTS Jan 14,14 / Surgery Jan 20,14

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/27/14 9:41 am - Windsor, Canada

The only thing I can say is to do a little better every day.   Goals are to be worked up to.  Doesn't mean you'll get there right away. 

Hang in there. It gets much better 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

NorthernStar
on 1/27/14 9:58 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I felt exactly the same way. A drop of water felt like lead in my stomach. Just remember: sip, sip, sip. Just keep sipping. I found room temp water easier to drink than cold water, give that a try. Or hot tea. You may find it easier.

I was struggling to do full fluids and my surgeon told me it was fine to do clear liquids for a while. He even said many of his patients do it for 7 or 8 days. It was about day 9 before I could try some yogurt or protein shake. The first 8 days I did only water, small amounts of clear juice and broth. Check with your centre, but this may be fine for you as well. It is only day 4 and you are not screwing up. Just do your best!

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Katie M.
on 1/27/14 10:14 am - Georgetown, Canada
RNY on 10/18/13

In my experience what you are feeling is normal. I couldn't drink even close to what my centre wanted me to in the first few weeks, and I hardly got anything down the first few days. I also couldn't tolerate plain water and had to add Crystal Light or some lemon or cucumber. I guess something about the surface tension of plain water can be hard going down - it felt like knives down my throat and then sat like concrete in my stomach. If you feel symptoms of dehydration (you can try the skin pinch test) go to your local hospital and get some IV fluids to help, or call your centre and tell them you're coming in. But try not to stress out too much, if you're getting some water in and it's not coming back up just keep working on it day by day to get a little more in :) At three months I am just finally able to get 2L + of water in. It was a really slow process for me. 

Referral May 2013 / orientation at TWH June 27 / nurse practitioner July 3 / social worker August 19 / nutrition class August 26 / nutritionist August 30 / psychologist September 3 / meet surgeon (Dr. Penner) September 20 / PATTS October 10 / Surgery October 18 2013!  

Sunny123
on 1/27/14 7:11 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

As suggested try room temp and add Crystal Light or something similar.  I still don't like cold water and I'm 7 weeks out. 

It does get easier.

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Catw
on 1/27/14 11:36 pm - Arnprior, Canada

For some people, cold plain water is hard to drink and hard on the tummy.  I still can't take the taste or feel of it.  Add flavorings or warm up the water.  That should help.  Don't worry if you aren't getting the full 60ml in right now, just keep working at it.  Basically, just keep sipping at your water.  Do the best you can.

This journey will always have it's challenges, but you can face and beat each one.  It will get easier as you learn your new tummy, honest.

Cathy

Most Active