Final Meals before Optifast

alysan
on 1/27/14 7:25 pm - Canada

I start my Opti fast in 2 days.  Is it wrong for me to think that these final meals are my last ones?????It's like I'm grieving for the food I will miss. 

I've really tried to think of what I want to be my last ones and have come up with turkey burgers tonight and chicken stir fry tomorrow. 

Do you remember what your "final" meals were?

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Sunny123
on 1/27/14 8:18 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

I don't think it's wrong. Some will disagree - it hasn't impacted me in any bad way!

Crabby Joe's cheeseburger of some sort (there may have been bacon involved)  with fries and gravy!

Good luck! Lots of ice with that Opti!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Focal
on 1/27/14 8:26 pm - Peterborough, Canada

I find it has helped me with last meals.  It feels like some closure on that part of my life.  I am still going through the process but have been weaning my self off fast foods. I find the longer I go without if the more repulsed by it I get.  So like I said my "last meals" seems to work for me.

Referral from Family Doctor - November 4/13  |  Orientation date for HRRH - January 9/14  |  1st meeting with surgeon - January 30/14  |  Dietician, Registered Nurse, Social Worker Appointments – Feburary 10/14 | Second Dietician - March 11/14 | Dr Glazer - March 20/14 | Sleep Test - March 24/14 | Sleep Test Results - April 15/14 | 2nd Surgeon Appointment - May 13/14 | PATTS - September 30/14 | Surgery Date - October 21/14

kristaeb
on 1/27/14 9:14 pm

I planned to eat a steak and baked potato with the works. When i started to eat it i couldnt even enjoy it.. I thought to myself this is the kind of eating that got me here in the first place so i didnt even eat it. .. For me its not final meals, i will be able to eat steak and potatos again, for a treat and  way smaller portions of course lol.... Good luck on your journey..Krista...

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Katiebear291
on 1/27/14 9:20 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

I had about 5 months from the time I got my date to the start of my opti so I had 5 months worth of last meals!

Everything was fair game but mostly alot of wings and fries.  Funny cause post op fries don't seem to bother me (only tried them once but with no issues).

You can still eat the same foods post op if you let yourself but the quantity is vary different!  I go to sushi now and can barely have one roll myself - and that is picking off as much rice as i can manage.

Good Luck!

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

mispysmom
on 1/27/14 10:19 pm - elliot lake, Canada
My husband is a fantastic cook, he used to own a pizzareia, anyways he made me bbq steak, mushroom caps, cesear salad, and kalemari..some of my faves, i love sushi and havent had it since my surgery, but yes u can try different foods after surgery, i read a lady posted "its not wht u do once in a while, its wht u do the majority of the time" however now my go to food is fish :) love it!!

Amanda

bikinibound2014
on 1/27/14 10:37 pm

I start Opti on Friday and so far I've gone for an amazing Braised Short Rib dinner, lemon Ricotta cheesecake, sangria

Not to mention wings and pizza

Funny thing though .... even though I was craving these things like mad and mourning it a little I didn't go crazy and indulge the way I thought I might

I guess some of the 80/20 rules are starting to kick in.

I am a little sad that I didn't make it for Su****hough

I think it's out of my system ... I'm looking forward to Opti on Friday, it's the last part before this actually becomes a reality!!!!

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

Foy
on 1/27/14 10:56 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

I had food funerals in the last few weeks before I got my surgery date. My last meal before Opti was pizza... and I am not going to lie it was good. But I didn't cheat on Opti and stuck with the program. That was tough but I felt good staying on track, a test of sorts of what was to come.

Here comes the however - at the point I am at now almost 5 months post op, looking back I saw the relationship I had with food was unhealthy and that I really didn't need the food funerals.  I was eating food before my surgery like it was the last time ever I would have such things. So not true, I have stayed away from the pop and sugars etc. If I do want something then I can have a little, or plan around it or make something that is "similar". I have had a burger, sans bun, with the veggies but no condiments with sugar etc. It isn't exactly the same but it was a workaround and there is always left overs :) 

I don't know if pizza will ever be on  my list again, I don't do well with breads and I tried it once and it felt like a dough ball in my pouch. My relationship with food has changed too, I don't see it as a comfort, but as fuel for the time being. I am sure that will change once I get cravings and hunger back but right now food is to nourish.

It has been an interesting journey so far. So if you need to have a food funeral then that is your choice, most of us (not all) have had them. Just be ready for Opti and keep on track for surgery.

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

Coco2013
on 1/28/14 12:27 am
I start my opti on friday and I am craving seafoodfor my last meal. My daughter is taking me out on Wed for my final meal as I know thurs I wont feel like eating in preparation for optifriday
Mary Gee
on 1/28/14 6:05 am

Funny - I was just thinking about this earlier today.  It's still a few months before I'll have surgery, and I'm eating healthy.  But I was thinking of what I would want to eat "one last time before surgery.  I'm a carb freak -- I thought immediately of Fettucinni Carbonara (sp?).  And in the Chinese department -- egg rolls!!  

But, as I said, I'm eating healthy foods now, and will continue.  And when I do have my "food funeral" ---- I'll do it with moderation.   kiss

Still learning.  Currently in pre-op stage.

Most Active