Water retention

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/14 10:18 pm

if any of you had this issue, did it go away after weight loss  or were you taking something for it ? I am consistently heavier by 2lb in the evening and I even look different in the evening. If I can put boots on in the morning, I can hardly get the off in the evening. Doctor refused to give me water pills, so I am not sure if that's going to continue after surgery.

Patm
on 1/22/14 10:28 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I had some water retention before surgery. Now not at all. My body circulates better without the weight.

(deactivated member)
on 1/22/14 10:44 pm

that's great, thanks ! :) I might yet wear a skirt before I am 60 :))

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/14 12:21 am

i do have this issue as well.  i was told that if i push water it will help (sounds contradictory, but it is true).  

i dont' bother weighing myself in the evening -- cause i know i am full of waste and will weigh heavier than i truly am.  morning after my my first visit to the potty is the best time for me to see my true weight.

all the best -

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/14 12:24 am

I did find the difference if I drink about 3L of water a day. But it's hard to put all of that in (with a present huge stomach), so how to manage that after I have no idea

libra1
on 1/23/14 3:32 am - Canada
VSG on 09/17/13

About  6 months before surgery, by the afternoon, my legs were swollen from my toes to my knees. It was getting worse each week...the swelling caused my legs to itch because the skin was so stretched. Immediately after surgery I noticed my legs were no longer swollen. I had one day they were puffy and that was because I was working/sitting all day at the computer without leaving it. In the past, a 10 lb water gain in a day was not unusual. I no longer experience any of these things. I attribute it to several things -- good hydration, eating real food with no msg/preservatives,no more high fat/high carb foods, more movement, and just the grace of God cuz the change was so immediate.

It is so nice to be able to see my ankles again. enlightened

(deactivated member)
on 1/23/14 3:50 am

thanks, I forgot what normal ankles are supposed to look like :(

(deactivated member)
on 1/24/14 12:53 am

great post, libra -- thanks :)

btw - wasn't dr jasckson awesome?  enlightened

Nanato2
on 1/23/14 6:57 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

My issue with water retention went away after surgery so much that I am down a size in shoes. 

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Susan M.
on 1/23/14 9:41 am

Compression stockings can be a god send for issues with swelling.

You could also take up swimming (just being in the water can help), I noticed a huge difference whenever I kept up on those things.

Most Active