So close - Yet so far ...

Mrs_Rolo
on 1/21/14 6:17 am - Waterloo, Canada

Had my PostOp class yesterday - really thought it was interesting.  

All excited because we were told that come April they were going to go full tilt with surgeries.

I am having my knee replaced next month so I thought I had better mention it.  Audrey called me back this afternoon & they are putting my file on hold.  I need to be able to have full use of my knee before I can have wls or else I could get a blood clot.  

I can't bend my knee now so I don't quite understand.  Obviously i want what's best for my health, but at the same time I am discouraged.

Sorry  I needed to vent.  I will do my knee exercises faithfully & I will being having wls hopefully by late spring!

Zizzler
on 1/21/14 6:48 am

It is so frustrating I know - I need to have a stomach scope done and am being told that there is a wait of a year! What centre are you out of?

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Anastasia_Marie
on 1/21/14 6:54 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 11/20/13

If you have access to a car and are willing to travel tell them that you will have the scope done anywhere. I know some people in the kingston area who went as far as coburg to have the scope done to bypass the 1.5 year long wait here

Zizzler
on 1/21/14 7:12 am

great idea!  I will let my doctor know that I am willing to travel.  Thank you!!

Mrs_Rolo
on 1/21/14 8:19 am - Waterloo, Canada

Guelph.  They are putting My file on hold for six months.  I got the feeling that after that I would have to start at the beginning again.

Zizzler
on 1/21/14 8:38 am

I don't think you would have to start all over again - many if not all of your test results may still be valid. Maybe ask your centre how it would work in the future, that way you would know what to expect.  I have heard of people being on hold for months for various reasons and then picking up where they left off. 

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

providence
on 1/21/14 7:59 am
RNY on 03/20/14

I am truly sorry that you have had this set back. Honestly, as I nurse I can tell you you don't want to deal with a blood clot and don't want to take any chances. I understand that this is very frustrating and I can't imagine how you are feeling inside. You really do get yourself psyched up for this and this is certainly a set back. Prayers that all goes well with the knee surgery and that your WLS is soon after you are well and able.

As far as the Scope goes, I am from Kingston and I waited 7 months and was finally given an appointment at Ottawa Civic Hospital. Don't know if this is helpful, but look into this. Also, there are private clinics that do scopes, have you looked into that. I did and was discouraged to use one of them by the RAC in Kingston, however I had an appointment in Ottawa very soon after I "complained" (just a little about my wait time for my scope). Sometimes I wonder if some of these tests and time frames are a way of stalling the process as more people are becoming aware and inquiring about surgery? Good luck getting your scope, I am sure it will be less than 1 year.

Mrs_Rolo
on 1/21/14 8:22 am - Waterloo, Canada

Thank you so much for your thoughts & prayers!

As I have been telling my kids for years "it always works out in the end".

bikinibound2014
on 1/21/14 9:04 pm

Are you able to make a dietician or social worker appointment with them in a month or so?  Just so they know that you are staying on track with the eating side of things.  Then when your leg is good to go they can reschedule fairly quick.

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

Mrs_Rolo
on 1/21/14 10:46 pm - Waterloo, Canada

Thanks for the great idea.  I will follow

up with them.  I am even more determined

to stay on track now - just so there isn't

another reason to be put on hold.

Most Active