Needing advice!

CassieM
on 1/7/14 11:18 pm - St.Thomas, Canada

Hi everyone!

I need some advice and I really don't know who to talk to! So I figured who better to ask then you folks! 

I have had my orientation in Hamilton and I am waiting on first appointment dates. Sounds like they are really far behind and I will be looking at fall before I even get started on my appointments. I am currently on ODSP (Ontario disability) and my file is up for review in October. I'm worried that they will want me to go back to work and that will be hard finding a job while going thru this process. My BMI is under 40 but I have type 2 diabetes as well some other health issues. I had my sleep study done at the end of December  and my Internist has been awesome at sending me for all tests he can think of now so I that I wont have to wait for those. I'm wondering if it is worth asking for a transfer that seems to be going a bit faster or if that will just make the process even longer? I have no problem waiting for the surgery because I know it is worth it for sure!!! I am however worried about the timing. Right now I have all the time in the world for appointments and so on. 

Has anyone transferred centres? Am I better to just wait it out with Hamilton and hope that ODSP gives me some more time?

Thanks for talking the time to read this! I just didn't know who else to ask for advice!

bikinibound2014
on 1/7/14 11:54 pm

I'm sure I've read about people transferring clinics before -- hopefully some will reply too.  Looking at the turn-around for surgeries I would request a a transfer to one of the Toronto clinics.

Good luck

HW 277.0 CW 273.0 Asked for Referral February 2013; Orientation @ Guelph May 16th, 2013; First Appointments July 24th; Nutrition Class August 7th; Second Appointments (& cleared) August 29th; Post Op Class December 9th; meet surgeon January 9th; PATTS Jan 14; Opti starts January 21; Surgery February 11th!

CassieM
on 1/8/14 12:02 am - St.Thomas, Canada

Thanks! I checked the bariatric registry and it does say you can ask for a transfer. You have to request it thru your current centre and the centre you want to go to also has to accept you. I just wasn't sure if that would be a waste of time. If Hamilton takes their time sending the request and the other centre takes a bit to get it I may just be looking at the same time frame Anyways.

Has anyone done a transfer 

4-Jane
on 1/8/14 7:00 am - Canada

I waited over two years, and it was always recommended that I continue to live my life, in my way.  Try not to worry over things you cannot control, and if a job is in your future then you will be still be eligible but appointments may not be as easy.  I have heard wonderful things about the Hamilton program and them being slow now may not be the case for long.  And welcome on board

Respectfully Jane
Most Active