Reviews or experience with Dr. M. Gagner

Curvy_Chic76
on 1/7/14 1:35 am - PORT ELGIN, Canada

Hi all - a newbie here and terrified as hell! 

Can anyone provide any info on experiences with Dr. Gagner? 

His clinic in montreal and the follow up? 

I am a little concerned about the follow up - as our bariatric centres in ontario require a patient to come in once every year to follow up - has anyone had thee experiences with dr. gagner's practice and I believe he work out of sacre couer if im not mistaken? 

thnx :) 

Patm
on 1/7/14 2:11 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

If you have not lready perhaps you should post in the Quebec forum. This is his review page http://www.obesityhelp.com/profiles/bariatric-surgeon/dr-mic hel-gagner/

(deactivated member)
on 1/7/14 2:37 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Lots have gone to him but I don't see any of them posting any longer.  Not sure if you are going to him for DS or VSG but you may have more luck posting on those surgery specific forums as many people from the US have been to him as well.  From what I remember, he doesn't do any follow up in person but is available for questions via email. 

Susan M.
on 1/7/14 3:20 am

Hello!

I had surgery (DS) there 3 weeks ago.  What can I say?  I filled a cancelation and everything was very rushed.  My internist in Ottawa had nothing but rave reviews about him.  

I had done a lot of research before hand so I was okay but I felt if I had not, I would have been left very confused and a bit abandoned.

I don't speak french, but the rest of my family does, so I had my father come with me (good thing too because many of the staff were of course french only, although I had no issues with anti-anglophones).

I had a place to stay in Montreal for 1 week post op, but I left after 4 days (morning after discharge) because of the storm coming in.

Dr. Ganger had given me the ok to leave down before discharging me.  I've had 3 e-mails post op but no talk of a post-op appointment.

The staff at Sacre Couer said I would need to make a one month post op appointment with him (but I think he doesn't always require this).  They have answered most if not all of my questions post-op, and i'm feeling ok.

Dr. Ganger made it very clear that he does not have a follow up team when I had my initial meeting with him (this might be different if you pay out of pocket, I think they might be more accommodating then).  He said that the Internist I had was the best I could have in Ottawa for post-op care and that I was very lucky, so I go to him with most of my questions.

Back to the Sacre Couer, they put the money in equipment and staff, *not* the building, so don't be alarmed by the rusting balconies that are barred from use or the toilet facilities.  If you go in with low standards, you're good to go.  Be positive, and be aware that helping yourself will make you happier than if you're waiting on someone else to help you.

My father managed to be in hospital most hours despite visiting hours (I think some floors are stricter than others), and I was moved from room to room each night (night 1, meh.  night 2, good room (think 1930's chic and never got an upgrade), night 3, dear god get me out of here, morning 4, discharged).

I hope I haven't scared you off, I'd give the overall experience a 6.5 out of 10.  I would give the surgical staf****10 (the surgery went *really* well, and fast).  I would give the question/answer/aftercare crew a 7/10 (I think this is where I felt most disappointed despite knowing before that it would be like this.  I still wanted someone to be telling me exactly what to do).

If you want any more information feel free to message me.  If you live in the Ottawa area we could meet up for a chat as well.

He's one of the best surgeons in Canada, so don't be afraid on that account.

Curvy_Chic76
on 1/7/14 4:06 am - PORT ELGIN, Canada

Thanks so much Susan! That was very very helpful! :) 

I really appreciate everyones input so the more available the better.

Most Active