Workouts & Gyms

pugalootz
on 1/5/14 12:36 pm - Canada

Wondering what gyms (chains) people find are the most friendly for larger folks?  My supermodel body is still hiding and I need to uncover it - so the gym it is!

As for workouts - what is the best to do?  Weight training, cardio or both?  I have some restrictions to what I can do - I have a bum knee and a large pelvic incisional hernia from a prev c-section.  The more weight I lose, the more the hernia seems to appear larger, so I'm very self conscious about it - especially in a place with a sea of fit people at a gym!

Thanks! Christine

Laurie C.
on 1/5/14 10:28 pm - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hey Christine:

I think the YMCA loves everybody!!

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Hanneli xoxo
on 1/6/14 12:42 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

try kickboxing! it is am amazing full body FUN workout! I don't know where you live nor do I know of any chains but I am sure a google search in your are you can find a friendly gym!

Delicious_Delilah
on 1/6/14 1:52 am - Ottawa, Canada

I love the Athletic Club and have been going there since post-surgery.  Lots of people of all sizes.  Have never felt judged, only supported.  Of course, in the beginning, you do feel a bit self-conscious (or I did anyway), especially because I really was the largest member I think they had when I started (in the 380 lb range when I started swimming).  But you soon get over that.  After being there a while, people I didn't even know started coming up to me and congratulating me on my progress  So odd, but welcomed the positive reinforcement.  They also have a woman's only section of the gym and woman's only pool (at least at my Club), which might be nice if you're looking for that.

In terms of workouts, I would suggest, if you can afford it, to work with a personal trainer to get yourself going...even a few sessions to start you off, and then periodically, you can go back and have them revise your workout program.  If you can afford it, I would fully endorse working with a personal trainer a couple of times a week.  And don't be shy to try someone new if the first person the pair you up with doesn't work out.  When you ask for a trainer, you can ask for someone who has experience with people with injuries or larger clients.  That's what I did, and my trainer was fantastic ****il he injured himself...urgghh!)  

Good luck and enjoy!  It really is a miracle...I started off so heavy and unfit, and now I'm pretty darn fit.  (And I also endorse the kickboxing idea...I do that three times a week and love it!)

DD

Mandalious
on 1/6/14 6:34 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Where in the city are you?

check out FitzonePLUS.com

Im heading there now for zumba and yoga 

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

pugalootz
on 1/6/14 8:02 am - Canada

@mandalious I'm in Don Mills

NorthernStar
on 1/6/14 6:51 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

When I was first post-op, I started working out at home with DVDs. I was very self-conscious and it was perfect for me. I could wear shorts and a tank top and know that no one could see me jiggling around. It was great too because I didn't worry about trying out a new move, I knew no one would know if I didn't nail it.

I work out at a gym now for variety but miss the convenience of working out at home. I think when my membership is up I will invest in some more weights and a treadmill and keep doing it at home. There are so many awesome DVDs to try.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

highlandbear
on 1/6/14 12:38 pm - Canada

I like the ywca that I go to. Women only and I like that. Plus everyone is so nice. I know that some ywca do allow guys but they will usually have some classes or work out time for girls only. Worth looking into and cheeper than the ymca

Most Active