Wine - Booze in general

SandpaperSandy
on 1/5/14 4:03 am - Kitchener, Canada

Can someone explain how one little glass of wine can go right to my head ??  is is because it goes diretly to the intenstines and not filtered through the stomach. 

It feels like I have drunk an entire bottle of wine, yet it has been maybe 6 oz.

will this be forever, cause if that is the case, I am a real cheap drunk.  

I am almost 3 years post op, and have just discovered this.  I was so good for so long, that I now have discovered this.  

Diminishing Dawn
on 1/5/14 4:12 am - Windsor, Canada

That's exactly that.. with no pyloric valve it is not a little drip at a time. So it hits hard and fast (and then disapates after 30 mins or so).  It's also released in full to the liver very quickly so that's the danger as well.

So many patients just go in seeking that "buzz" and have to keep drinking to sustain it since it can fade so quickly for us - and so they find it easy to get hooked.  Takes less to make us drunk, but it lasts not as long generally.  Although I've seen a few bariatric patients who can drink lots.

I will always be a cheap drunk!! lol

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Nerak
on 1/5/14 4:47 am - Canada

Well explained but I'd like to add that cross-addiction is not uncommon and so, for those who got overweight due partly to addiction to highly palatable foods etc... they are at increased risk for concurrent substance abuse disorder or developing an addiction to alcohol. Both food and alcohol are dopaminergic. I'd play it safe - you really don't want an alcohol problem. 

Karen

Surgery date is Oct. 17th, 2013 in Ottawa. I was referred to the clinic in September 2012. The person performing my surgery is Dr Amy Neville. 

SandpaperSandy
on 1/5/14 5:01 am - Kitchener, Canada

This is very scary, in that one drink can feel like a bottle - in my old world.  Two glasses and I can barely stand.  I obviously know my limit.  so for those that have yet tried the liquor - heed the warning. 

It is actually scary -for me personally - to have consumed such a small amount of liquor and have it hit so hard.  I was never a drinker before and the odd glass of wine was ok for me.  Now the same amount and I feel like I am not in control.

There are so many facets to the weight loss, that I still learn new things and experience new "rules" and I am three years out.  

thanks for this forum.     Sandra

Catw
on 1/5/14 7:56 am - Arnprior, Canada

The biggest factor is that it goes straight to the intestines and liver.  And yes, quickly felt, but can wear off just as quick in our systems.  There is also another factor you could consider, how long has it been since you had a drink?  Your system isn't used to it any more, so it can't tolerate it as much as it used to.  And I am not an advocate of getting used to the alcohol by any means, I prefer my 1 drink limit.  I have too much fun people watching the drunks at the party!

Cathy

SandpaperSandy
on 1/5/14 9:03 am - Kitchener, Canada

good point.  I don't typically at all, and when I do it is just a small glass - today, I had a little larger glass than normal and felt it almost immediately.

because it does wear off so quick, I can easily see why people would continue to drink the entire bottle to just keep the buzz going.   I too like to people watch.   So lesson learned, drink with a group of people, so you don't have to drink so much to be entertained.

Thanks

sabrinastrength
on 1/5/14 9:06 am - Canada
I agree with everything everyone has said... just remember, even though it wears off quickly, you can still have a high blood alcohol level... just be careful!

Highest Weight Pre-Op: 346lbs;. Surgery Weight: 330lbs; Current Weight: 204lbs
Surgery: Aug 2, 2013

goddessgrrl
on 1/5/14 9:16 am - VA

I beg my fellow WLSers: PLEASE DON'T DRINK ANY ALCOHOL EVER AGAIN.

Check my blog for more on this.

If you're having trouble with alcohol, PLEASE visit http://www.aa.org & find a meeting near you.

Don't throw away this beautiful, wondrous new life you have!

Send you so much love!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

SandpaperSandy
on 1/5/14 9:45 am - Kitchener, Canada

not having problems. just an observation.  thanks for the support

Most Active