Can we fly?

NorthernGem
on 1/4/14 3:49 am - Sudbury, Canada

Im wondering if you wanted to fly home from the hospital after surgery do you think you would have been able to handle the trip?  I'm asking because I will be going for a hernia surgery in Toronto before the stomach surgery and would like to fly home rather then driving 5 hours. OR are we even allowed to fly?

Referral July 2, 2012 * Ultrasound and Upper GI,  November 12, 2013 * Met Surgeon and Endoscopy, January 29, 2014  *Orientation April 2, 2014 *  Physiotherapist, *Social Worker,  April 25, 2014  * Nurse Practitioner, May 7, 2014  * Nutritionist, May 7, 2014  *Call from Pharmacist, May 8, 2014  * Breast Screening, May 9, 2014, * Sleep Study Test, May 16, 2014  *Surgery Date Fall / Winter 2014* 

mispysmom
on 1/4/14 4:09 am - elliot lake, Canada
How far a.flight...i.live 8 hours.from my hospital and my actually suggested it as an alternative to making the long bumpy drive home

Amanda

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/14 4:09 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I've had numerous surgeries in Toronto and always fly home.  If it's only a 5 hour drive then it's likely a 90 minute flight at most so there is no problem.  I just move my feet just as I would if I was in a car.  I don't even bother getting up once to walk to the bathroom since it's so short to fly less than 2 hours home for me. If you are flying through Pearson, you may want to ask for wheelchair assitance.  When I fly Porter, I don't bother as it's small but at Pearson I did once and was happy that I was wheeled to my gate.

NorthernGem
on 1/4/14 4:19 am - Sudbury, Canada

That's awesome to hear I couldn't imagine traveling 5 hours by car from Toronto to Sudbury compared to a 45 min flight. I am so happy Thank you so much for the responses. I am planning on flying with Porter Airlines and I am seeing Dr Sullivan at St Joes Hospital.

Gosh I haven't been to Toronto in ages do you know what the cab fare is from Porter to St Joes? 

(deactivated member)
on 1/4/14 4:28 am, edited 1/4/14 4:28 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

You may want a wheelchair even at Porter as sometimes you wait a good 15 mins for the ferry to come back and there really isn't anywhere to sit.  I was fine when I flew home after one of my surgeries but I did notice the standing for a long time was wearing me out fast.  Never hurts to have the wheelchair assistance to be safe.

I'm guessing it would be under $20 as it's not all that far from the island. (I'd plan for $20 but may be a bit less or a bit more but not by much)

NorthernGem
on 1/4/14 5:17 am - Sudbury, Canada

Thank you so much Tracy you have been very helpful enlightened

mispysmom
on 1/4/14 5:54 am - elliot lake, Canada
Not sure but when.i was at saint.joes two months ago they.were doin renos so u may want to bring ear plugs....it was quite noisey

Amanda

NorthernGem
on 1/4/14 7:12 am - Sudbury, Canada

Thanks so much for the heads up I surely will. 

zephie
on 1/4/14 10:20 am - Moose Factory, Canada

Both my daughter and myself flew home after our surgeries...from TO to Timmins....Porter was awesome...they had wheelchair ready for each of us as we needed them. The staff was all very accomodating and kind.

Orientation - Feb. 19 & 20/13 - NP,Nut, Psych, - Mar. 14/13 - Sleep Study - Mar. 24/13 - OTN with Dr. Sullivan - June 28/13  On my way!!! Preop Sept 25/13  -  SURGERY OCTOBER 22/13!!!!!!!!

It's not how you start this life...it's how well you finish it...& I plan to finish it with gusto!!!!

4-Jane
on 1/4/14 10:22 pm - Canada

I'm glad you got the responses you were looking for, I read the post and laughed out loud saying to myself it's not that kind of a tool, admittedly my humour is odd.  Hope all goes well for you and I think it's wonderful they are fixing it, I asked them to do mine during my surgery and they would not .  Good luck with your flight

Respectfully Jane
Most Active