car accident - no NSAIDS?!?!

Jiliana2
on 1/2/14 9:04 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm so sorry you got in an accident! I hope you're feeling better by now. Did you find something for relief?

I'm going to have VSG in a month because I NEED to continue taking NSAIDs for my arthritis (other types of medication didn't work for pain relief). I'm told that I can continue taking NSAIDs but to keep an eye on pain levels, as the major concern is developing an ulcer. So with VSG, NSAIDs are okay according to my doctors (rheumatologist and WLS surgeon) but carefully. Certainly on a short-term basis like for this incident, it shouldn't pose a problem as long as you're keeping an eye on how your stomach is feeling.

Like you, XS Tylenol rarely does a thing for me, and that can be problematic when I need heavy-duty pain relief. I hope you managed to find something that works for you! And if you did, please let us know. I'd love to add it to my list of "things to try" for post-surgery.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Valerie G.
on 1/2/14 9:16 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

I swear that the medical community knows nothing about any procedure except RNY, so yes - question the ER doctor, or any doctor, because the sleeve is new in the mainstream of wls.  You CAN have NSAIDS with the sleeve.  They have the same cautionary warnings as they do with anybody with a full functioning stomach (which you do have), but they are fine, especially in cir****tances like this.  With a sleeve, you have the same anatomy you always had, but your fully functioning stomach with all working parts is much smaller.  That's it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Mary Catherine
on 1/2/14 9:34 pm

When I hurt my back last year, the urgent care doctor gave me a shot of cortisone and prescribed cortisone pills.  A shot and short term course of cortisone will not cause weight gain and gives me as much relief as NSAIDS.

Laura in Texas
on 1/2/14 9:46 pm

NSAIDS can lead to ulcers in any person. With the RNY we have a blind stomach so treating the ulcer is much much harder. With VSG you do not have that issue so NSAIDS are ok. Hope you feel better soon!!

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Robyn R.
on 1/2/14 10:32 pm - Bowmanville, Canada

the debate on NSAIDS that I have heard both personally and professionally is yes and no. Some say yes, others say no.  My surgery is in 18 days and my GP is shocked that I'll no longer be able to take NSAIDS for my issues after my RNY.  ANyway other forms of management for muscle pain could be ice packs, heat although it feels great, just pulls the blood to the area, therefore increasing the swelling and the pain.  Stick with ice as it will decrease the swelling.  Some of the over the counter rubs are great as well.  There is a Voltaren with Arnica that is amazing.  Although, there is a bit of NSAID in the rub, you are bypassing the GI tract therefore eliminating the irritation of the gut.  I know others will say it is still absorbed into your blood stream and the risks are there, but they are far less then with ingestion of the NSAID.

HOpe that helps.  I completely understand how you feel about the narcotic issue, when I fractured my arm, they were handing me percocet like it was candy and I so hated how they made me feel. 

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

sfnativewm
on 1/2/14 10:38 pm

You can be given the NSAID in shot form, that is what I get.   They just don't want you swallowing an NSAid to wreck your stomach.

I hope you can get pain relief soon!

~Ann~
Band removed and feeling alive with energy!

Caroline K.
on 1/3/14 1:50 am

Can you apply some ice packs in the meantime? They'd at least help numb things a bit, which does help (I tore some lumbar fibres last year, and used ice regularly to help).

dragongirl_76
on 1/3/14 4:13 am

i agree with most others. short term use for VSG'ers shouldn't be a problem.

you probably want to get some physio to help with your back. they can give you some gentle stretching exercises which feel great, especially when everything feels tight.

i got rear-ended 3 times in 2 years and my back was effed for a long time. i had to do physio for years.

go get some Aleve now, and then ask your doc for something stronger. ie . toradol. you can also get toradol in a shot form.

(deactivated member)
on 1/3/14 8:21 am

Called TWH Nurse Navigator -- she said no NSAIDS, and to take oxy-codone.  I took 2 oxy's post-surgery and vowed never to take it again.  There is no question in my mind that the medical profession are split/confused re. NSAIDS and VSG.    

The stress of the whole episode is causing my stomach area to hurt.  The pain is purely stress related.  However, because of this, I am going to post-pone the NSAID for now.   I'm just scared -- I've healed beautifully and don't need drama with my surgery.  

I am off now to have another hot shower and let the water penetrate my back.  It does give me relief and I just hope it doesn't cause more problems.  The paramedic and ER doctor suggested it so I will do it.  

Honestly folks, FYI:  even if you get hit from behind with minor damage to your car and the cop and firefighters say not to fret cause it is just a minor accident -- GO TO THE HOSPITAL IMMEDIATELY. DON'T WAIT!  I felt tension in my back minutes after the impact and went.  Several hours later -- the pain i have is a "7" and I only ended up with a cracked bumper and tail-light.  I'm pissed off and am praying that this does not impede my health goals for this year ....  2014 was for health, not disability.

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much for your suggestions.  Sincerely.

Sarah

Mandalious
on 1/3/14 10:30 am - Canada
RNY on 12/03/13

Lord.. that is scary!!

you can take tramodol.  Dr Hagan said I could use it for my muscle pain in my back. I get relief w it.    I had to use one the other day. I chopped it up and apple sauces it. I'm just a month out today. Didn't wanna take a long pill. 

Maybe you can a script for it.

feel better doll

Referral May 17 '13 / Orientation June 17 '13 / Meeting w Dr Hagen June 26 '13 / RN,RD,SW July 31 '13 / Dr.Glazer Sept 3 '13/ Sleep Study Sept 5 '13 /2nd app w Dr Hagen Sept 16 '13 / F/U w  Dr Glazer  Sept 23 '13 / PRATTS Nov 14 '13/ Surgery Dec 3rd '13

Most Active