no more alcohol

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/13 9:20 pm

well, i had 3 sips of a 4.3% alcohol danish apple cider at midnight last night.  3 SMALL sips.  luckily i was at home.  it knocked me out.  literally -- knocked me out. i came to about 50 miutes later, but quickly fell back to sleep.  only now just woke up.

i have always been a pathetic alcohol drinker (1 glass of red gets me tipsy), but 3 small sips truly takes the cake.

thanks to my VSG, i will never be able to drink alcohol again.  

alas, i did wake up to now officially losing 20lbs thanks to my VSG!!  Certainly no regrets.

Cheers to a healthier, more active 2014!!

Katiebear291
on 12/31/13 9:32 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

Most people would tell you - never say never.  wait a year and try again - at our hospital they tell you that you may not touch alcohol for the 1st year... so maybe wait at least that amount of time.

But giving up alcohol is good too lol

Happy new year!

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

(deactivated member)
on 12/31/13 10:03 pm

don't touch alcohol for 1 yr, eh?  that's good to know!!  

it really is fascinating how alcohol is such a part of our social interactions!  especially during the holiday season!  so many places i have been over the past 2 weeks alcohol has been offered to me and i have said no in worry of what my reaction might be.  

thanks for the 411, 291!  and HNY to you too!!!!!!!!  

Leanne1
on 12/31/13 11:48 pm - Newmarket, Canada

When I had my NUT class at TWH, they said NO alcohol for a year! You are kindda early out still. I had my first alcoholic beverage not long after my one yr surgiversary. I was at a stag n doe. Booyyyyyy did I get drunk off half a drink. 

HNY :D

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

(deactivated member)
on 1/1/14 2:31 am

hey leanne -- for some reason i missed that info at TWH!  oh well, i certainly learnt my lesson!

HNY!!  to health and happiness!!  

Nanato2
on 1/1/14 2:59 am, edited 1/1/14 3:01 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

TWH now says no alcohol for 6 months and I think it is also in the hand out they provide.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Nanato2
on 1/1/14 2:58 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I took my first sip of alcohol about 9 months after my VSG and I drank 1/4  glass of wine and it knocked me right out as well. Then I tried again few weeks later because I wanted to be able to have a drink and was able to drink 1/2 glass before it knocked me out. I then went away at the end of Nov. to Mexico and I drank 2 bailey's with ice no problem. Then last night I had glass of wine ( which made me tired but not pass out) and bailey's with ice and was okay.

I think after the surgery it takes our body a bit to get use to alcohol again and I have never been a big drinker any ways I just like to be able to have a drink if I want in social settings. So I am trying different things to find what does not make me so tired as wine makes me tired now.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

shoshanaApr2013
on 1/1/14 5:01 pm
I'm not a drinker (diet coke is my poison) but I was wondering why alcohol was such no-no post-surgery. This is what I found out there in internet land on a bariatric surgeon's website:

"Alcohol is basically a type of sugar and it slows down a patient's weight loss and may cause dumping syndrome. It contains lots of calories and is not nutritional. After surgery, alcohol enters the blood stream more quickly than before surgery. The intoxicating effects of alcohol occur sooner than before surgery and after smaller amounts are ingested. A patient who has had gastric bypass surgery absorbs FOUR times as much alcohol from a given drink versus before surgery. It is best to avoid drinking alcohol for at least six months after surgery, since it can be irritating to the stomach pouch and cause ulcers as well as liver damage. You may choose to drink alcohol after the six month mark, but only do so on special, rare occasions, and NEVER drive within 24 hours of having an alcoholic beverage."

Referral: Apr 2013; Orientation (HRRH): Aug 12, 2013; 1st Surgeon Appt (Dr Sohi): Aug 23, 2013; SW/RD/RN: Nov 8, 2013; Internist (Dr Glazer): Nov 14, 2013; 2nd Surgeon Appt: Nov 20, 2013; Start Opti: Jan 3, 2013; PATTS: Jan 16, 2014; Surgery: Jan 24, 2014

Most Active