Another year! Really? :-(

birdiegirl
on 12/19/13 7:02 pm, edited 12/19/13 7:46 pm

I have read this thread a few times.....and I would like to add a few comments

Zizzler - yes I know its tough to wait.....and a year or a bit more can be daunting.....there are only so many operating rooms....and dollars.....to go around......so the surgeons get their time parsed out.....so the person waiting for a new knee or hip can wait a year or more.....and daily endure pain and loss of mobility......and the cancer patients can bump some OR hours and surgeons who also do the bariatric surgeries...and so on and so on.....you get the drift?

Discriminated against by OHIP???...yeah I don't think so.....I thank God everyday that OHIP chose to fund this surgery.......and that there were surgeons who were trained and centres set up for us........

In a perfect world we would all get "what we want when we want it".......but it doesn't work that way.....you really want to get depressed?....spend some time on the Main Forum with our American counterparts....and IF they have insurance....what hoops they have to go thru....why do you think there are so many Mexican medical Centres advertising on here?.....so the US can self pay and go to Mexico for surgery

I don't feel entitled....but I do feel thankful....I know if I have a serious medical issue that I will be looked after quickly and efficiently for the most part.......I understand that I wait my turn for non life threatening issues ...and for the vast majority of us ,our weight is a long term time bomb....not an immediate explosion....

So I hope you will take a breath......atend the requested appointments....and get your surgery when your time is spent.....and be thankful for this gift....

EDITED to add - you also sound like you are doing everything right in the mean time....practicing good eating and reading all you can.....hang in there .....read and read again.....

Zizzler
on 12/20/13 7:26 am

I agree with you that we are luckier than most to have it covered by OHIP.  

As for OHIP and the wait times I respectfully disagree -  there is nothing fair about one person getting surgery in 3 months and another waiting 3 years in the same province for the same procedure.  It is not acceptable and it needs to be fixed. If that means more resources overall then that is what is needed. 

Anyhoo, here I am getting all riled up again, sorry. lol  It comes from feeling so helpless and powerless I guess.  I have been distracting myself with creating a post-op cookbook for myself, and that has been pretty cool.  Just finished reading a book called "Stranger Here" about a woman who had the DS surgery and her experiences.  It was an interesting read, although it focused more on the emotional.  Worth a read anyways.

So thank you for your frank response, I appreciate it and wish you happy holidays...

burg_vs
on 12/19/13 7:29 pm

It's was definitely worth the wait!

Zizzler
on 12/20/13 7:28 am

Awesome :0)

cutekatie
on 12/19/13 9:52 pm
RNY on 05/16/12

Totally understand your frustration. This is a great place to voice your frustrations because we have all had to wait to a certain extent.

With that said it is unfair to compare the different centres in terms of wait times, etc. It is the same with all types of surgeries (elective or otherwise). Depending on where you live in Ontario (and in Canada for that matter) dictates the level of care you receive and how long the wait is.

I went through the system quickly and I believe it was because I had been a patient of the WLS centre 2003 and I had asked to be put on the surgery registry in 2004 and had never heard back. I always wonder if they looked at my file and realized that and pushed me through faster.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Zizzler
on 12/20/13 7:36 am

Oh wow, that is a really long wait for you - glad they bumped you up due to the delay.  I would expect some differences in centres, but not to this extreme. To me it just seems like they need another centre of excellence in eastern Ontario to deal with the demand.  Right now there is only Ottawa and it is not enough.  Just my opinion...

How are you doing now?  I assume it was worth the wait? :-)

danslillady
on 12/19/13 10:19 pm

I'm Canadian and married to an American and live in the US where I had surgery.  Two of my cousins crossed the border for surgery. I think, though, that even though there is a wait, every single person that qualifies for surgery WILL get surgery, in time, without paying a penny! I think that's great. 

We have good insurance and I feel very fortunate that I was able to have surgery at very little out of pocket costs within about 3 months of my initial consultation (my insurance allows me to self refer). However, TONS, of Americans are denied!!! Just food for thought!

HW: 274 SW: 241  CW: 149 --- 5'6 (Surgery date 11/26/2013)

Zizzler
on 12/20/13 7:40 am

I hear what you are saying about us being lucky and totally agree.  And the care I have received has been good quality too, so that is great.  Just WTF with the inconsistencies you know?  Anyhoo, thank you for sharing your experience and happy that you were approved and able to get it so quickly. Awesome.

aidan
on 12/20/13 6:58 am - Canada
So I was one of those lucky 8 monthers out of Ottawa. The way I fast tracked was by calling every 2-3 days for appointment cancellations. I shaved months off of my process by being persistent. Most of the receptionists at the clinic are great there is one who isn't. If I got her I would just call back later. Good luck!

Zizzler
on 12/20/13 7:44 am

lol I know the receptionist you are talking about and agree totally! The rest are super kind and helpful.  No luck with cancellations so far - I call about once a week.  I am sure there is an element of luck too right - if you happen to call at the right time.  Maybe I need a good luck charm to rub as I call lol  Thank you!

Most Active