Another year! Really? :-(

healthynewlife
on 12/19/13 7:53 am - Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I have asked right away when they cleared me regarding cancellation list and was told that there's non, that everyone has to wait their turn. Five weeks later I called again and talked to the receptionist regarding the cancellation list and was told that they have a certain person that handles it and she transferred me over but I got the voice mail so I never left a message. So there must be one, but I don't know how they are handling it. ..sometimes some people get on it and some people don't, I just don't want my name on their black list.

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 8:06 am

Hmm, not sure how it works either but have been told that persistence can pay off.  Maybe try calling again and leave a message this time?  Some people call a couple of times a week.  The people who answer are sometimes flippant and even rude.  Other times they are absolutely lovely and extremely helpful.  Just don't give up ok?  You can do it!

KM_Ottawa
on 12/19/13 1:23 am

Zizzler, you are 100% correct, this is a real problem for patients in the Ottawa area.    My referral went in September 2013 and I was told it will be 6 to 8 months before they even contact me for an orientation.    There are people referred to the other Ontario centres that will have gone through the whole process (referral, orientation, appointments, and surgery) before Ottawa even contacts me for orientation. 

After much discussion with my husband and my PCP I've decided to go the private route. While I'm not happy about having to pay out of pocket for something that OHIP covers, I feel that it's the best option available to me at this point and I'm looking at it as an investment in my health.   My surgery is scheduled for Feb 25th in Montreal.  

cutecanadiangirl
on 12/19/13 6:05 am

Hello,

I feel your frustration! This whole process appears to be such a horse and pony show with many hoops to jump through.  I believe it is important to prepare for the surgery and get mentally ready for post op but the entire process really does need an overhaul. 

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 7:26 am

Yes!! And we are totally at their mercy because there is no way really complain about it.  If you do they can just say "oh well, it is an elective procedure", which means it is not important.  The sad truth is that  it is just size discrimination, which is still acceptable in our society.  There is no way that a life-saving surgery such as this should be elective - no way.  Anyhow, I will stop now but it really ticks me off.  I pay taxes like everyone else but am treated like a second class citizen wherever I got - even at the hospitals.  Geez Louise!

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 7:14 am

Ya I think they need another centre for eastern Ontario as Ottawa seems like the worse one by far.  I heard they might start doing them in Kingston at the Hotel Dieu but not sure if that is really a go or not.  Montreal seems to have several private hospitals - I looked into that option myself.  Great that you have a date in February - good for you!  It is a shame about the wait.  If I had the money I probably would have done the same. Who is going to do your surgery?

KM_Ottawa
on 12/19/13 8:14 am

Dr. Christou will be doing the surgery.   Plan "A" is for an RNY but I've had some previous abdominal surgeries that may require a switch to plan "B" (SVG).  

I hope things start to speed up for your surgery.   It sounds like you have made a lot of positive changes already so when the time comes you will be really well prepared.

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 9:09 am

Thank you KM - I hope so too :-)

Best of luck to you too...

minou09
on 12/19/13 7:22 am - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

I can totally relate.  I had a year and half wait to get to surgery and I come on here and see people at the same site going through so much quicker.  I didn't need extra tests or anything, I didn't push for cancellation appointments or earlier appointments.  I am through the surgery now and just relieved that the wait is over.

Referral: June 2012, Orientation: Feb 2013,Meet Surgeon: April 2013; Meet SW, RD, RN May 2013; Meet Surgeon again Aug 2013, Surgery Dec 10, 2013

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 7:30 am

Minou09 are you out of Ottawa as well?  How are you feeling?  Did they tell you it was going to be so long or did it just drag along?

Most Active