Another year! Really? :-(

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 6:51 am

It sure seems like they are backed up, but then again they seems very conservative in their estimates too, just to prepare you in case the wait is super long.  Looks like you will have waited almost exactly a year yourself.  Did they tell you it would be that long when they game an estimate?

alysan
on 12/19/13 7:35 pm - Canada

It was actually my GP who told me that the wait would be between 1-2 years.  But I think they fast track you if you have co morbidities. 

Yes my process was almost 1 year to the day!!!!!

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Northernlightsmom
on 12/18/13 10:00 pm - Canada

I also feel your frustration. I am going through the Windsor center and it has been over a year since my referral from my doctor. I also agree that we can use time to learn new behavior......BUT I am ready and still have not even met the surgeon. Others though that just applied in September are getting surgery dates.....REALLY?

I am happy to hear others are getting through the process but am frustrated with the inconsistency of the system.

RNY Surgery February 10th, 2014

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 6:55 am

It is really hard.  You have had a long wait too eh?  Isn't Windsor normally faster than some other centres as well?  I thought I heard that somewhere...

Katiebear291
on 12/18/13 10:33 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

Totally know that frustration.
Just know that it will happen - even on the day of surgery I felt like something was going to get in my way and keep me from actually getting the surgery.... And then my surgeon came to me and said - there has been an emergency your surgery will be delayed... thank god it was only an hour but still lol.

I know it sucks but just like others said it is a great time to work on getting your water in, take your vitamins etc.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 7:00 am

I'm normally a pretty relaxed and patient person but every once in a while I get this panicked feeling that its not going to happen for some reason.  Like if I do not do it now I will lose my nerve and chicken out.  don't get me wrong, I know I need this surgery for multiple reasons, it just took so much to admit that to myself that now I just want it over and done with already.  Ah well, we are lucky it is covered by ohip at all I suppose, could be much worse.  How are you doing?  You are newly post op eh?  How is that? 

Katiebear291
on 12/19/13 9:46 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/10/13

First couple days were interesting trying to learn to eat and sip all over again. 

But now my challenge is not doing things until I am healed. I have a toddler and she wants me to play and take her places and I tried but ended up hurting my tummy muscles from lifting her (which the surgeon said was fine to do but obviously is not!) so now I have to wait longer to do anything!!! 

But my husband will be coming home today for the holidays and hopefully I am healed by the time he leaves.

and I had that exact same feeling while going through the process - I finally admitted to myself that I have a problem and seek help now you are making me wait to get a solution. It will cool soon but I noticed with the urgency my drive to fix it cooled as well and I am struggling to get myself back into that frame of mind.

RNY  - December 10 2013 Dr Lindsay Toronto's Saint Joseph Hospital Toronto

Zizzler
on 12/20/13 6:44 am

Sounds like you will have some assistance with the kids for a while so you can concentrate on healing - glad to hear it.  It is so easy to lift when you should not, I know what you mean.  I had my gallbladder out 4 or 5 years ago and I had to really watch it because it is easy to overdo it.  Was restricted to no more than 10lbs for a month after surgery.  Wish you a nice speedy healing and a pleasant holiday season...

healthynewlife
on 12/19/13 12:58 am - Guelph, Ontario, Canada
I'm in the same boat, when I was cleared at the end of October (13 months from the referral Sep 2012) I was told that my surgery will be most likely in May 2014. It is really hard to make any sense how their system works, just keep positive and it will happen for you. The surgery will fix the weight issues, but not the head issues and that is where I concentrate the most for the long term success. JK
Zizzler
on 12/19/13 7:05 am

Oh how agonizing...cleared and here is a huge long wait.  Head issues for me is a work in progress but is much improved overall.  Practicing mindful eating now - turn off the tv, pay attention, all that good stuff.  It is easy to forget though and slip into old habits. One step at a time right? Have you tried calling your centre to see if there are any cancellations?  Or maybe they have a cancellation list?

Most Active