Another year! Really? :-(

Zizzler
on 12/18/13 11:15 am

Well I have been on this journey for about 5 months now and it has been a real test of patience.  Recently I was told it would probably be another year until I have surgery.  I must have looked devastated because then I was told that 8 months is possible.  Still, even 8 more months is over a year of total waiting.  I don't mean to be jealous but I am!  How come other centres have people having surgery 5 months from referral while others it takes years? I am happy for those people, sure, but boy does it tick me off the unfairness of this system.  I mean, they are all centres of excellence so how can it vary so much? Sorry for the rant...anyone else fed up with this process from hell?

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

Diminishing Dawn
on 12/18/13 11:45 am - Windsor, Canada

I know it's aggravating at times but use this time to benefit you.  This surgery is TOUGH long term and you will have your whole life to live with it.  Read, compile info and deal with your eating issues now. (They will eventually rear their ugly heads again).  

Just a note;  things could be worse.  In New Brunswick you'd have a 10-12 year wait.   No I'm not kidding 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 6:34 am

I totally agree and have taken many positive steps already: switched to decaf coffee and tea, cut out softdrinks, started taking vitamins, upped my exercise routine, no junk food in my house whatsoever, practicing recipes, practicing mindful eating, seeing a therapist to help deal with the emotional stuff, you name it.  I feel as ready as I can be and yet it is such a long frustrating wait.  Yes, New Brunswick would be worse - that kind of a wait should never happen anywhere, it ought to be illegal.  I guess it just bothers me that these are all supposed to be centres of excellence but its like they are not on the same page in so many ways.  I will try to keep busy and this group is great for learning new tools and tricks as well. Next step I think will be dividing my food into tiny pieces when I eat it and not drinking with meals.  Those are two I have been avoiding but I know they are important.  Thank you for your reply.

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

chipmunk_roasting
on 12/18/13 11:57 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

I was 22 months from referral to surgery, in Ottawa.

It's a long, tough preparation.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 6:36 am

Wow, that is a long time.  Did you have lots of tests to do or just a long wait between each appointment?  Would you say it was worth the wait?  Do you have any regrets?

4-Jane
on 12/18/13 12:52 pm - Canada

This is a hard realization, and your right there is nothing fare about the waiting process, it was more than hard for me to watch others fly through one last year was less than ten weeks waiting while I waited for two years.  I was ready I did not need two years of learning time.  But I did need the surgery and wait I did because one does not want to cause waves or rock the boat, I understand your frustration and hurt.  

Respectfully Jane
Zizzler
on 12/19/13 6:40 am

Holy cow - 10 weeks seems really really fast. Must have been out of somewhere other than Ottawa right? lol  It is a powerless feeling for sure.  How did you deal with the wait?  Just kept busy or support groups or anything?

Sunny123
on 12/18/13 7:07 pm
RNY on 12/05/13

It isn't fair that others get pushed through. I agree with you. I was 16 months. 

They really should maintain a better process and disregard people that call in non-stop. 

Would  make the work load of managing endless calls a lot easier and more efficient. 

I've placed two calls in post op and have never heard back. It's the only calls I've ever made to them in 16 months. 

Hang tough you will get there!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

Zizzler
on 12/19/13 6:47 am

That's awful - they should be calling you back if you leave a message, especially post-op when you may need them most. I have found that early afternoon like 1 to 2pm is a good time to call.  Sometimes someone actually answers, which is nice. 16 months is pretty much what I was told at my last appointment, so it may just be this time next year before I have surgery.  Is there anything you wished you had practiced or changed before having surgery?  I am trying to find stuff to do to prepare so that I am as ready as possible...

alysan
on 12/18/13 7:53 pm - Canada

I hear ya and I'm sorry you are waiting so long. 

I guess there is more awareness now about bariatric surgery (so to say).  More people are opting for this route and the system is getting back logged. 

Keep your chin up!!!!

Referral: Feb. 14, 2013; Orientation: May 16, 2013: 1st RN/NUT/SW appt: May 28, 2013; 2nd RN/NUT/SW appt: July 31, 2013; Dr. Agarwal (internist): Aug. 6, 2013; Post Op Class: Nov. 25 2013; Dr. Reed: Dec. 17, 2013; Surgery: February 13,2014

Most Active