Marathon this Sunday! Finishing what I started...

kellybelly333
on 10/17/13 11:52 pm - Toronto, Canada

Well! It's been a year of training, trying to figure out how to eat more like an athlete and less like an RNYer, and reflection.  

I had my RNY March 2011. In April 2012, I reached the hospital's goal (the one we came up with together). I then ventured further and lost a few more. I happily stay at 5-7 pounds under this goal.

I tried running a few times during the beginning of 2012 and hated it. So I kept up with spinning classes and other boot camp-type classes. I ran a few times in the summer, and started to realize that it wasn't so bad, as long as I wore compression gear to help out the old panni situation. In September I ran 10k....and I couldn't believe I could do it. I started running regularly, and decided then and there that I might be able to finish a marathon. I wanted to do the GoodLife Marathon in May, but lucky me...I was approved for panni surgery in January. This kept me from running for two months, so I signed up for the Toronto Women's half marathon in May, and the full....October 20th.

Completing the half in May was amazing, and taught me a lot about racing. The full will take a lot more energy, which means different eating. I'm starting my version of carb -loading today, (and which i've done the previous nights before my long runs). Our muscles need carbs to sustain such long distances. If I had listened to this a little more, I might not be in such a bad way right now.

Which brings me to my IT band. In my left leg, for three weeks now, I have been struggling with distance running. I've been doing different kinds of therapy, but the fact is, a tight IT band takes rest and months of work to fix. I've been struggling with coming to terms that I most likely will be walking across the finish line on Sunday. I have made this in memory of a promise I made to my dad just before he passed away (my facebook page is in my tagline, if you want to check that out)...that is to get healthy. It took me a long time to get to this point of health in my life, but i'm here.

And with that.....I will finish what I started a year ago...whether I run, walk or crawl across the finish line!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Foy
on 10/18/13 12:08 am - Canada
RNY on 08/30/13

You got this!!!

Referral: July, 2012 Orientation TWH: November 12, 2012 NP/SW: March 25, 2013 Sleep Study: April 15, 2013 Nutrition Class: April 16, 2013 Dietitian: June 19, 2013 Psych: June 25, 2013  Dr OkrainecAugust 2, 2013  PATTS: August 9, 2013 Surgery Dr. Urbach: August 30, 2013

cayleighsmom
on 10/18/13 12:10 am
RNY on 06/05/12

Kelly, Reading this brought tears to my eyes. You are an inspiration. I have followed your posts and you are one of the peole on here that helped me to follow through and sign up for a running program. I cant say i even have marathon running in my sights right now, but who knows maybe someday. No matter how you cross that finish line, you WILL cross it. Congratualtions, can't ait to hear all about it.

Patm
on 10/18/13 1:12 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

You have worked so hard. I know one way or another you will make it over the finish line. I am sorry you have not healed but you have done amazing no matter how far you run. I am sure your Dad would have been very proud of your accomplishment

Julia P.
on 10/18/13 1:54 am - Canada
RNY on 10/16/12

Kelly, you are such an inspiration!  Good luck to you on Sunday - your Dad would be so proud of how far you've come!

Referral - December 2011 * Orientation TWH - March 13th, 2012 * Nurse Practitioner - April 17th, 2012 * Nutrition Class - April 17th, 2012 * Social Worker - April 24th, 2012 * Dietician - May 1st, 2012 * Psych - May 1st, 2012 * Surgeon - August 17th, 2012 * PATTS - Sept. 12th, 2012 * SURGERY TEGH, Dr. Cyriac - October 16th, 2012

Starting Weight - 320 lbs   *   Current Weight - 178 lbs  *  Goal Weight - 165 lbs 

Derek C.
on 10/18/13 3:35 am - North Bay , Canada

Kelly - your gonna do super fantastic - after we talked i started running again and will be attempting a 8km (massive hill) run this sunday ...  hey im not gonna finish first - but im gonna fini**** - thats all that matters - then im gonna focus on 10Km and more for next year - rest that leg and ill see you on the roads

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

Sunny123
on 10/18/13 5:37 am
RNY on 12/05/13

You really are an inspiration to all of us waiting in the wings! I hope your IT band situation gets sorted out soon. Nothing is worse than being injured while trying to train.

Keep up the great work!!

Jo ~  HW:297 SW: 279.6  GW:160 ~ Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at this moment!!  Dr Amy Neville Dec 5, 2013         

ybfat
on 10/18/13 6:26 am - Canada

Blondie, you just made me teary eyed!! You will finish this and it matters not how you cross that finish line, only that you cross it and we all know, you will do that! 

Enjoy the euphoric feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a super run!

Marlaangry

Laurie C.
on 10/18/13 7:07 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Kelly:

Just a little hitch in your giddy up, doesn't matter how you cross the line, you'll do it.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Onward and
Downward

on 10/18/13 9:02 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Best of luck on your run this weekend - I'm sure you'll do great!

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active