Annoyed with Pre-op for Gall Bladder Interview - rant

kellybelly333
on 7/8/13 11:51 pm - Toronto, Canada

So I am having my gall bladder out next Thursday, and I had to have a phone interview for pre-op (which is nice that I didn't have to go to the hospital and take a day off work). Anyway, the woman on the phone asks why I put down that i'm intolerant to sugar. I explain that I had RNY surgery and it sometimes causes me dumping syndrome. She snorts and says, "sugar makes you poop?" So I explain what dumping syndrome is, and she was agreeing that it doesn't sound pleasant. I hadn't even gotten to the RH factor. So then she asks why I have iron infusions. I just said because i'm anemic. She called me a smart-ass. Well really....i'm sure there's other reasons why people get iron infusions....but it's pretty much caused by anemia...what causes the amemia might be the better question. She asked if it was due to RNy, I said yes. She asked how much I lost. I told her. She confirmed that I am no longer diabetic, and that my blood pressure is perfect, I no longer have sleep apnea, and that i'm not on any medications. She then asked if it was worth it, with all the problems I have now.

Wow. So I calmly said that it has changed my life, that i'm training for a marathon, and that the issues I have now are fixable and non-life-threatening. Unlike the diseases I had before surgery. "good for you" is the response I got....with a slight 'still-don't-believe-you" tone.

It's interesting. I've had a few people say to me lately that they think I could have succeeded without the surgery. Yes, because the 20+ years I tried really worked. Sigh.

Done ranting now :-)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Catw
on 7/9/13 12:05 am - Arnprior, Canada

Rant away.  Some people just don't get it.  Good for you for staying calm and explaining it to her.

Good luck with the surgery!  I had mine out Pre-WLS, but I had lost around 30 lbs in a day (gave birth to an almost 11 lb + baby, so baby + placenta + water = a lot in one day).  So I didn't have to go through it after.

Cathy

kellybelly333
on 7/9/13 12:35 am - Toronto, Canada

You had your gall bladder out after giving birth? That's crazy!! I hear a lot of women having it after having babies. Rapid weight loss in general causes it.

My PS is going to fix the dog ears I have left over from my panni surgery, but wanted to wait until I had my gall bladder out, because she says I might lose weight. Who knows really? I like where I am, I look funny when I go under 130. It shows in my face, arms and boobs. Who knew i'd actually like the weight i'm at? lol

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

time2changeme
on 7/9/13 12:13 am

Good for you keeping your cool with her!  Rant away anytime! angry

I wonder if she needs WLS surgery herself and she's in denial!

kellybelly333
on 7/9/13 12:35 am - Toronto, Canada

I actually wondered that too.

Monica M.
on 7/9/13 1:31 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

that was the first question that popped into my head.

aidan
on 7/9/13 12:24 am - Canada

aaaargggh! That is all!!!

Delicious_Delilah
on 7/9/13 12:28 am - Ottawa, Canada

Rant away!  Some people just don't get!  I've had some people say to me (pre-WLS), well, why don't you just stop eating so much if you want to lose weight.  Oh really...hadn't thought of that!  You've solved my problem for me! 

Most of these people have never experienced the battles we've had with the scale, with ourselves, with society.  This woman sees that you have great determination, resolve, and discipline (training for a marathon), and she wonders why you didn't apply yourself in the same way to your weight issue.  She doesn't understand that weight loss isn't about determination alone, and that we physically need this tool to get us on our way. 

Good on you for patiently trying to explain it to her.  Sounds like she could use a bit more education in this area.

Have a fantastic day, 'cause you rock!

kellybelly333
on 7/9/13 12:45 am - Toronto, Canada

She definitely could use more education. And the way she spoke to me, makes me wonder how she has the job she has in the first place. Oh well.

The one person who commented on being able to do this without surgery, is my ex. He thinks that if I left him, then my food issues would have disappeared. I had to explain to him that yes, he was the cause of so much of my bingeing, but there are other reasons why I still want to binge, so the surgery was a good fix for my eating habits (putting my cravings to sleep for a good six months), while I worked on the rest. And still do.

kristaeb
on 7/9/13 12:56 am

Thats what i was thinking Kelly, some people choose a profession that they are not cut out for.. Just because they can DO their job, sure doesnt mean they are good at it...Dollar signs get in their way i think... Your responded great...Take Care Krista..

Refered Jan 15/13..Surgery June 27/13 , Dr Hagan.

Most Active