Long term nausea - any suggestions?

Kerry F.
on 7/7/13 2:32 pm - Bolton, Canada

Hi all;
I am a little over 2 years post-op, maintaining a 152-pound weight loss (yay me!)  My diet & exercise are good, sometimes forget my vitamins but for the most part I'm on track with everything.  Life is really, really great.  BUT - I suffer nausea on an almost daily basis.  I also burp constantly whether I'm full or hungry and months of food journal tracking has not revealed any particular food cause.  Not sure if the excessive gas has anything to do with the nausea.  The nausea comes & goes but there are days when it is constant.  Tonight it won't let me sleep.  This is not new; I've been battling it for months, probably closer to a year.  I've had abdominal ultrasounds, endoscopies and a CAT scan; all normal.  Does this sound familiar to anyone else?  The NUT said keep a food journal - done & done.  No patterns to be found.  The surgeon said it just might be something I'll have to live with, but it's really unpleasant.  I've gone back to basics a couple of times - started out with the post-op diet and began the re-introduction of food all over again, including a return to small portions, timed eating intervals - you name it, I've tried it.  I'm all out of ideas and I'd be so glad for any thoughts or suggestions. 

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

birdiegirl
on 7/7/13 7:54 pm

Hi Kerry

this sounds so unpleasant for you.....are you on a daily prescription anti acid pill?   ( prevacid...etc)

Kerry F.
on 7/7/13 9:38 pm - Bolton, Canada

I was on Prevacid for the first 18 months and went off it after the last scope when my surgeon ruled out ulcer.  He said that since it didn't seem to be helping with symptoms, no need taking it.

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

Monica M.
on 7/7/13 9:50 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

Could there be a psychological reason for it?

Kerry F.
on 7/7/13 9:57 pm - Bolton, Canada

Hadn't considered that...but I guess anything is possible.  Any ideas how to determine that?  When I was food tracking, I was also logging emotions, mood, etc.  I'm a long-time journal-er and I do practice mindfulness, especially related to food/eating.

Kerry

Monica M.
on 7/7/13 10:38 pm, edited 7/7/13 10:48 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada

Well... perhaps you could journal just your mood and occasions of nausea? What's going on in your day, who's around you, what emotions you're experiencing. But if you say you practice mindfulness and you're a long time journaller, maybe this isn't the issue. You'd see it more (in my opinion) with people who are more oblivious about their mood and who aren't mindful. But, for instance, if you feel nauseated every time you get off the phone with your mother, then there's likely a link.

Do you keep track of your body position when you're feeling the nausea? Just throwing that out there, that would be more related to a hiatus hernia or something, and you said you've been tested and all that...

ETA - congrats on your loss and the maintaining of it!

erqueenie
on 7/7/13 11:02 pm - Liberty, MO
Hi, I am having a very similar issue. I am RNY 3yrs out. This started recently but now daily. It seems if I eat anything with the exception of cottage cheese, rtd protein drinks, greek yogurt, jello or popcicles I get deathly ill. There are times when it's so bad I have to go to bed to "sleep" it off. Feel like I need to t/u but can't. Sometimes I just think why eat?
      a href="http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/erqueenie/"> src="http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/898575/tickers/erqueenief8593f1d4e464b0e3eb8b5a186ea87e2.png">> R                                                                 
Kerry F.
on 7/8/13 4:16 am - Bolton, Canada

LOL @ feeling nauseated after getting off the phone with my mother -- HOW DID YOU KNOW?!! Although, that's been going on since WAY before surgery.  LOL

I did have an inguinal hernia repair about 4 months ago; other than that, no sign of any other kind.  Thanks for your insights, Monica :)

Kerry

Nanato2
on 7/7/13 11:07 pm, edited 7/7/13 11:09 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Hello

Sounds like acid reflux/GERD to me I have had it for many years now and it will never go away and some days it is worse then others. I have taken Pantaloc for years and it really works for me plus try not to eat about 2 -3 hours before bed time because it will keep you up at night and if you can elevate the head of your bed. 

After surgery the doctors changed my Pantaloc to Nexium and it made it worse so on my own I went back to Pantaloc and have had very little issue's since.

I also find that if I am stressed it is really bad.

Hope you find some relieve soon.

Lynn

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

erqueenie
on 7/7/13 11:10 pm - Liberty, MO
Mine is not heartburn it is gut wrenching nausea. I already take prevacid nightly.
      a href="http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/erqueenie/"> src="http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/898575/tickers/erqueenief8593f1d4e464b0e3eb8b5a186ea87e2.png">> R                                                                 
Most Active
Recent Topics