Going on a Cruise! Question for cruise-goers!

2mar
on 3/2/13 4:26 am
RNY on 09/20/12

LOL - you sneaky reader ... actually I read the same... angry

Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

Lorieliz
on 3/2/13 12:47 am, edited 3/2/13 12:48 am - Canada

I LOVE cruising and highly recommend it. A few tips:

Rogers has nothing to do with internet on the ship...you buy minutes once you are onboard. They have several "minutes" packages available and usually they are on sale at some point.  I usually buy 150 minutes for a 2 week cruise. You can always buy more any time if you need them. You can also usually use the computers in the computer lounge for free but they are slower than dirt.

TAKE A POWER BAR. Make it the first thing you pack. Plugs are few and far between.

Take a water bottle or two and fill em up at the bar (ask for ice) so you can always have a cold one in the fridge. Do;t drink the water in the room.

Don't bother with the gym, run the deck. Something about the sea air. Also, everyone who goes to the gym ends up catching something. Too many people in and out breathing and touching the equipment. If you must spin, bring wet wipes. But really, running around the ship is a great workout and the scenery is so damn cool.

Usually the dining room serves very diet friendly food. Small portions (haute cuisine) and always a fish chicken or vegetarian option. You can have as many appetizers as you want so sometimes I just skipped the main course entirely and had a couple of apps.

Have a wonderful time, I guarantee you will be hooked on cruisin...I would never vacation any other way again.

Referral St. Joe's, Hamilton - Surgery May 28, 013 

kellybelly333
on 3/2/13 12:54 am - Toronto, Canada

Great tips thanks. I won't bother spinning then, since I will be sick of it by that point LOL. I do remember walking the track a fair bit, so running (my true love) will be what i'll do. And I can full on run again by that point :-)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 3/2/13 1:39 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 04/04/13
Hey Kelly,

I am a cruise manager as my career working with all the cruise lines.

I did not get a chance to read each reply and it may have been answered but j will tell you that you cell phone will use roaming on the ship satellite and be very afraid of the bill upon ur return!!! Americans somehow have some fantastic roaming rate but because half the Caribbean is using us lines they done may too much.

Your best option if you want to stay in touch is buy a minutes package on board your ship in the Internet cafe. Ships satellite can often be up and down but if your on roaming your always being charged. You beat and safest place as a Canadian is using the ships Internet. Pricing varies on each cruise ship/line.

If u need to know anything else. Let me know
2mar
on 3/2/13 4:27 am
RNY on 09/20/12

angry super info :)  

kellybelly333
on 3/2/13 7:04 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thanks so much!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Patm
on 3/2/13 10:04 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Also a suggestion book your own excursions. I was able to book at least on that the ship offered at 1/2 the price. They charge almost twice what the people in the port charge.

kellybelly333
on 3/2/13 7:01 pm - Toronto, Canada
Yep. Excursions I know about. I've been on a cruise twice, but not with a phone and wanting to check in daily.

newpossibilities
on 3/2/13 11:26 am - Oakville, Canada
RNY on 11/19/13
I am with Rogers as well and was on a cruise in December. If you dig around on the website you will find their rates for offshore, read: cruise ship are $7 per minute. No packages or plans available. That being said, I was able to text and email, even skype by logging into the ships internet with my iPhone. It is slower than at home but I logged in pretty well every day on a 7 day trip and didn't need to go over the 75 minutes I bought at the start.

Have a great trip! We love to cruise and try to go once a year - we usually go as a family as the kids love it as much as the adults.

Referral Mar 1, 2013 Orientation Apr 17, NP May 2, SW May 6, Nut May 6, Dietitian June 6, Psych June 18, meet surgeon July 5, PATTS Oct 8, Surgery Nov 19th

kellybelly333
on 3/2/13 7:00 pm - Toronto, Canada
Thank you!! I was wondering I suppose, if I could use my iPhone with their wireless. I can Skype home then. Is that from anywhere aboard the ship?

Most Active