RNY - Anyone ever NOT take anything to help them poop after malabsorption ends?

kellybelly333
on 12/29/12 12:26 am - Toronto, Canada

Geez, that was a long headline! But really, until the majority of my malabsorption ended, I rarely needed intervention to poop. And now, it's such a crazy thing to figure out. I take Restoralax for my issues. But is there anyone out there past 18 months or so who DON'T take anything to help them go? Water, fibre intake are my natural solutions, that do not work anymore. So, I have to add something, and that's fine...i'm guessing, this is for life though?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Vi-Vi
on 12/29/12 2:45 am
VSG on 12/13/12

Kind of happy you posted that!  I'm 2 weeks post op & was doing great but now I'm constipated & I think it's going to be  the death of me!  My husband went to see the pharmacist and was told I should see a doctor as she is not sure because of my surgery!  So I'm taking benifibre, Soflax & trying to drink more water!  But I'm in pain so my husband bought preparation H!  Any other advice?

HW: 352.6.  Opti wt: 331,   Surgery wt: 308. CW: 190.4

Don't trade what you want most, for what you want at the moment!!   --Eggface

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/12 3:19 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

Sylvie unless you are drinking a lot of water, the benefibre might actually be what is constipating you.  You need a lot of fluid to make that one work properly.  I'd stop the benefibre for now. If you are already backed up, you need to get cleaned out.  MOM works great and then once you feel cleaned out then you can do Soflax or Lax A Day or Restoralax every day to keep you regular.

(deactivated member)
on 12/29/12 4:55 am - Guelph, Canada

Exactly what Tracy said! ...my nut told me to add more fiber and I thought I was trying to pass a cement brick! Got all cleaned out and had a sore rear for a few days but now I eat 4 bite size prunes daily and by 10 am there is "movement" 

Cuter_w_Curves
on 12/29/12 2:56 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

Um... Kelly... How is your "healthy fats" intake? Ok... Fat is bad... to a point. Healthy fat keeps things lubricated too... to a point... So I guess I am asking about that.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

kellybelly333
on 12/29/12 5:46 am - Toronto, Canada
My fat intake is good. My NUT has been very pleased with my nutrition. It's more the bio chemistry of after malabsorption I'm wondering about. Everything changes, and not all the info for "regular" folk applies to us anymore. Pretty sure this is one of those cir****tances. I just never notice someone piping up saying they have no issues ever, after 18 months or so.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Cuter_w_Curves
on 12/29/12 7:35 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13

*nod*

Just thought I'd ask... I know I am struggling now because I am ultra low fat (the 3 weeks pre-op) and I know what happens to my body when I cut it down this much. I would love some flax seed oil, or more than 1 tbsp of olive oil every 2 days, or maybe some avocado. *sigh*

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

ShallowGirl
on 12/29/12 9:18 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I agree with cuter than curves, some fat is necessary.

I don't really know what you mean by "malabsorption issues" and "once they have passed" since I have had constipation almost since day one, however, with the gb surgery I am getting looser.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

kellybelly333
on 12/29/12 10:00 pm - Toronto, Canada
I had some constipation issues a few times near the beginning. But generally I had no problems, until 18 months or so. I have been told by a few vets that you can pretty much tell when your malabsorption ends by the change in your stool. It becomes much less as we absorb more, and can lead to constipation issues. I know many people who have had issues since day one, and continue with their methods of relief, but most talk about the change in daily poop by two years out when malabsorption has completed (in most people). Everyone is different, this I realize.

Patti K.
on 12/29/12 5:27 am - Kingston On, Canada

Kelly, I learned a long time ago that I needed help as well.  After my first colonoscopy my Dr. suggested "twigs" every day.  So thats what I use...1/2 cup maybe rounded, with about 3 good tspfulls of greek yogurt, and either fresh or frozen fruit.  Along with all of my water.  I usually have one of "my" healthy bran muffins as well...this keeps things moving....Patti K.

Most Active