Veteran's please explain

kellybelly333
on 11/21/12 9:06 am - Toronto, Canada

Wow. I always feel funny, saying this, because i'm just shy of 20 months post-rny, but i'm glad I haven't gone down that path. However, in the summer I was at a WLS party, and a few of the ladies slightly mocked me for getting to my goal weight by saying, "Well you're only a year and a bit out, you haven't hit two years and started gaining like we have." I looked at their piled up plates of WLS friendly foods (and some not so WLS friendly foods) and wondered if I would be in their shoes at 2 years. I keep this in mind as I approach 2 years this winter.

I think that if new eating habits aren't a part of an rnyer's life (I would assume for anyone with WLS) by two years....well past the honeymoon stage...then it would be that much harder to obtain goal weight (if not already reached) or maintain.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 11/21/12 9:10 am - Mississauga, Canada

I'm sorry.... people at a support group meeting "mocked you"?  I'm disgusted.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Barbara_journey
on 11/21/12 2:37 am - Canada

When I wanted to have WLS, I told my sister and she told me NOT to get it, her reason, her mother in law had the surgery YEARS ago (like 15 years ago) and she is still extremely obese.  She said it "didn't work" for her... She is about 5 foot and weighs around 260... she has a very large apron and thinks that's why she "looks" fat... (maybe she can't see her other limbs?).. anyways, she had to have hip surgery, because she was putting too much stress on them, and the surgeon offered her a sleeve, and she declined... she likes food too much... which is also my sisters reason for not having he surgery... I think it's boils down to people and choices...

kellybelly333
on 11/21/12 9:06 am - Toronto, Canada

I think it must too. But it just worries me that old habits can sneak back in eventually. I guess it's a fight all the way!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Hanneli xoxo
on 11/21/12 2:46 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

I know a gentleman who does this. it is horrible. suffice to say, he is very over weight again, too. 

ShallowGirl
on 11/21/12 2:51 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I envy him the big mac, that used to be my favorite.  

I guess it's possible to get back to that volume, but you're right - why try?

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

kellybelly333
on 11/21/12 9:07 am - Toronto, Canada

I can  honestly say that I don't even think  about having a Big Mac any more. I"m glad of that.

dana8221
on 11/21/12 3:07 am - Canada

I think it all comes down to choices.  We are faced with so many of them on a daily basis..should I go to the gym, should I stop at McDonalds for lunch, should I eat the food my kids did not finish...should I realize that the opportunity for WLS is a gift, and a tool that we have to learn to use.  I am almost 3 years out and cannot finish a cheeseburger from anywhere without the top bun even...and really, I DO NOT CHOOSE TO.  I am not perfect, and make many mistakes, I have seen the regain in a person in my town who also did a Beltectomy and arms and thigh lift all for nothing as she is bigger now than she was pre RNY.  What we all need to remember (as told by my amazing surgeon Dr POP) the surgery can fix our stomachs....not our heads..we have to work on that part on our own.  I have had a wild journey to this point and love where I am but am still disappointed with some of my choices.  Good thing there is exercise and tomorrow..If I have learned one thing, it is forgiveness...of myself....

But no way can I go back to the demons, Mc Chicken has not crossed my lips in almost 3 years nor has pop...ok one small drink of pop 7 months out that knocked me on my ass so I did not ever go back...choices...make good ones the majority of the time and you will be ok.

kellybelly333
on 11/21/12 9:13 am - Toronto, Canada

I have a diet coke once in awhile, but I drink about half, and i'm not fussed by it. I agree with everything you said above. I started going down a rough path 6 months, when I was still losing and went through my separation. I'm glad it didn't last long, and I got under control again. I do wonder if I would have hit that magic number of 100 pounds lost if I didn't have that rough patch, but I can't change the past, and I can do what I can to the best of my ability today. And today was good...like many of my recent days, weeks and even months. This i'm happy with. It helps me think that the future won't have too many days i've regretted.

Niki L.
on 11/21/12 4:02 am - Canada
RNY on 10/15/12
5 weeks out i just dont know how anyone can eat that much food so fast at a good meal i can eat 1/4 of cup of food i feel so sad for someone who has gone thought this and than now is back to eating so much at one time just so sad

Most Active