Veteran's please explain

kellybelly333
on 11/21/12 12:04 am - Toronto, Canada

How a person, who had RNY over 5 years ago, is capable of eating a Big Mac meal with medium fries, including pop, in 20 minutes? No dumping, no carb crashing. I witnessed this awhile ago, and it scared the bejeebers out of me. Is there a point after so many years that you can get more food in? Or just poor choices gradually over time? I know that there's no way I could even attempt the Big Mac (not that I would want to), and even that many fries (I could do a few...but again, I have no desire to).

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Patm
on 11/21/12 12:06 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

That made me sick just reading it. All that gross food. I look forward to the vets answer

Karen M.
on 11/21/12 12:06 am - Mississauga, Canada

The WHOLE Big Mac and all of the fries AND a pop?

I have no clue, honestly. Continuous overeating, stretching of the stoma.... I can't imagine.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 11/21/12 12:23 am - Toronto, Canada

Everything...done in 20 minutes. I just sat there with my jaw dropped. I know that when we're first out our stomas are small and angry from surgery, which is part of the reason we can't get as much food in. And then eventually it is bigger and we can fit a proper amount of food in our pouch. But at what point do we reach the max?

And this is an example. At one month, I decided to attempt A small wendy's chili. I could eat about 1/4. By one year probably 1/2 and now about 3/4 (I hadn't had it in a long time, so I wasn't sure just how much I would get in). Will by two years it be the whole thing? Is that how it works?

Yep, the worrywart Kelly is wondering and worrying about the future again lol. But seeing what the vets eat in our What are you eating/doing today link, tells me that it's probably done healing and stretching (because I eat as I should).

Sorry if this is confusing. That whole situation confused the crap out of me!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

NorthernStar
on 11/21/12 12:12 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Yikes, that is scary. I can't imagine eating that much food. Even at almost 5 months out I still surprise myself at how little I can eat in one meal. As an example, I tried some whole grain pasta for dinner last night, I measured out 3/4 cup serving and could NOT fini**** Got really full, and that's a pretty small portion for a regular person. (I don't normally eat higher carb but got some to try)

Stretching the pouch/stoma really scares me. I know it's up to me and the decisions I make but it's scary to think about

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

birdiegirl
on 11/21/12 12:17 am

1/2 a hamburger and I am stuffed.....I dont touch pop.....fries go mushy so I can see someone being able to eat a medium fries....

I feel sorry for this person....food demons....especially when you indicate they ate it in 20 minutes......how much have they gained back?

kellybelly333
on 11/21/12 12:24 am - Toronto, Canada

30 plus pounds.

twins4meplus1
on 11/21/12 12:22 am, edited 11/21/12 12:22 am - St Thomas, Canada

I'm more then 5 years out and I would never be able to eat that much in one sitting. Mind you I can certainly eat more now then I could at a year or two out. Probably a cup or so of food depending on how dense it is. To this day I still don't eat and drink at the same time.

This person is probably washing the food out of their pouch by drinking and eating at the same time allowing them to eat more.

I have days when I seem to be able to eat more then others too. One day I can eat a small sandwich and the next I will eat  2 or 3 bites and be full.

If this person has decided to go back to the unhealthy eating that made them morbidly obese in the first place they will find a way to get it in. Once you chew up all that food and add liquid it becomes kind of a slider food that passes through the pouch quickly and is surely a recipe for disaster.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

kellybelly333
on 11/21/12 12:25 am - Toronto, Canada

Ah, so you can eat more than say when you were two years out? Interesting. But I like to hear that you still have the "full" days. I get those now. It's amazing what our pouch can do!

But yes, it made me sad to watch.

nata
on 11/21/12 1:42 am - Ottawa, Canada

Possible. I've got a colleague who had RnY in Utica five years ago and we often cross paths at the grill station of our cafeteria, the cheeseburgers there are WAY bigger than big macs, plus fries and DIET cola  are his default choice. Don't know how long it takes him to consume it, but shouldn't be longer than a lunch break time, i.e. about 30 minutes. So he drinks with food, eats meat with carbs at the same time - it explains how everything gets through, And yes he regained big time - he looks over 300 pounds.

Look at stats, at 5-10 years out, do you think all these regains come from eating 1/2 cup of protein loaded foods per meal? no way, there should be SERIOUS eating to regain 100 pounds.

Nata, a very happy DSer!
Starting BMI - 62, current BMI - NORMAL!!!!!.

204 pounds lost!!!!
Most Active