Drinking and Waiting to Eat - Are you strict?

(deactivated member)
on 10/26/12 5:51 am - Straford, Canada

Same as Harold!  Too many rules mean I don't follow any.  Getting all the suppliments in is challenging enough for me.  The half hour afterwards still stands unless I'm having my weekly glass of pinot gritio which I sometimes drink with chicken or fish. 

P_Floyd
on 10/26/12 5:55 am - Canada

I don't drink while I eat and mostly stick to the half an hour after guideline but I do sometimes have a sip of water after if what I ate was spicy or sticky. 

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

ShallowGirl
on 10/26/12 6:16 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

I don't drink around 15 minutes close to meal time, pre or post, but I am not a person in the "strict" category of most rules.

I did stop all drinking during meals to try to get vomitting under control, and it helped.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Tabetha A.
on 10/26/12 6:21 am - Ajax, Canada

My rule was the 5/30.. 5 minutes before, 30 minutes after. At over 5 years post-op, I still stick to the 30 minute rule about 95% of the time.  I usually don't even bring a drink to the dinner table for myself.  Once the table is cleared and kitchen cleaned back up, that's when I typically sit down with something to drink.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

ToNewBeginnings
on 10/26/12 6:42 am

I'm two years out.

Lately I have gotten into the habit of drinking up to eating or 15 mins before.

I do wait at least 30 minutes after eating, more if I can. I do find I stay fuller the longer I wait.

kellybelly333
on 10/26/12 7:25 am - Toronto, Canada
Thanks for the replies. I have had a few times where I have had a bit to drink while eating. It's rare, but I have done it. With that said, I read recently in my TWH booklet that at the solid food stage you could h e 1/4 cup of liquid with your meal. I was shocked to read that and asked about it and was told its really for if you have something very dry. I wonder if that has changed from when I got the booklet back in September 2010.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Onward and
Downward

on 10/26/12 8:07 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

I don't really understand why we can't drink right BEFORE eating.  I get why we shouldn't drink during or right afterwards, because it just washes everything down and through.  But if the liquids go before the food, then wouldn't the liquid just go right through first, and then the food take the same amount of time as usual to go down?

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

gardeninggal
on 10/26/12 9:37 am - Midland, Canada

I attended my one month dietician class recently and part of the class involved this topic.  The scare tactics ( it seemed to me anyway) discussed during the orientation seemed to be centered around drinking fluid before, during and after a meal.  The dietician discussed the reasoning behind the 'flushing out the nutrients theory' and also pointed out that if you felt that you needed some fluid between bites if your meal or mouth was dry to go ahead and have fluid in small quantities.  

happypants
on 10/26/12 10:09 am - Ottawa, Canada

Kelly I stop eating 15 minutes before a meal just to be sure my tummy is empty and don't drink for at least 30 minutes after a meal.

I'm real good about not drinking with my meal unless something sticks and I need a small sip.

Ann

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

Blu-Diva
on 10/26/12 11:31 am - Hamilton, Canada

I'm going to be 6 months in 2 weeks and I keep my eyes on that clock for the 30 mins all the time

Surgery date May 7 / 2012
Highest 312 lbs - Pre Op 297lbs - now 199 lbs
I know now that my location was never my destination.

Blu-Diva      

Most Active