Drinking and Waiting to Eat - Are you strict?

kellybelly333
on 10/26/12 4:15 am - Toronto, Canada

I have still stuck with the waiting to drink 30 minutes after eating. I find it funny that I still watch the clock for this. I might have a sip of something, if it was too hot, but still doing this rule. However, I don't wait the full 30 before eating. More like 10. Anyone else?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 10/26/12 4:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

I drink before eating if I feel like it.  No reason not to.  I do not drink while eating (unless it's *ahem* red wine with dinner or something), and I do wait 30 minutes after eating, yes.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 10/26/12 7:17 am - Toronto, Canada
Mmmm red wiiiine. Having some hen the kids go to bed tonight. It's our one year anniversary today

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

SandpaperSandy
on 10/26/12 4:23 am - Kitchener, Canada

I was told the 30 minute after eating was the important rule to follow and technically drinking 1 minute before you eat will do nothing because the liquid falls through the opening immediately .    

I personally do not follow the before eating rule and most definitely follow it after eating.

never had anyone at the clinic tell me I was doing something wrong, and 110 pounds later and at goal for 10 months, it seemed to work for me. 

kellybelly333
on 10/26/12 7:19 am - Toronto, Canada
Me too. I just wondered what everyone else did. I wonder why they say 30 before. I just don't get that. Maybe at the beginning, but not after say six months when everything is healed and working.

twins4meplus1
on 10/26/12 4:23 am - St Thomas, Canada

The rule for me was stop 10 minutes before and nothing for 30 minutes after. I still follow this rule most of the time.

Linda

London and Area Support Group Leader
http://www.london-wls-support-group.com/
Come join the Ontario Plastics Patients Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_Post_Plastics 
Come join the Ontario WLS Vets Board
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Ontario_WLS_Vets/
To get your discounted subscription to OH Magazine
Follow the link below and enter the promo code "Terrio11
http://www.obesityhelp.com/magazine/subscriptions.
html

OH certified WLS Support Group Leader

sam1am
on 10/26/12 4:26 am

Strictly speaking with a VSG, I don't have to, but was told at the classes to wait an hour after eating, to drink, (because, at least at the time, they were not distinguishing between surgeries).  I have gotten in the habit of waiting and am probably too full to drink more than a few sips within the first 45 minutes or so anyway.

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

dna
on 10/26/12 4:44 am - Canada

I stick with it but I better since I am only 8 weeks out :) 

Sometimes the before gets tossed a little aside to like 5 if my meal happens to be ready but I generally always wait the 30 after.  Unless I need a sip to clear food taste but I was also told 1/4 of a cup with my meal was ok.  NOT going to go there until I have to though.

Referral:  August 2011  Information session:  November 2011
Nut/Psych/SW: Spring 2012  Surgeon Meet:  July 6, 2012  Surgery: August 30, 2012

slrm2m2
on 10/26/12 4:47 am - Canada

I always wait at least 30 minutes after eating to drink...although most of the time I wait a full hour.  If I'm very thirsty for some reason, I will just keep it to the minimum 30 minutes.  I actually enjoy the full feeling in my pouch after a meal and find it better to wait a full hour.

I usually wait 30 minutes before drinking, although I sometimes have not observed this rule as strictly and only waited 15 minutes.  This is usually when I haven't been focused and didn't drink enough between meals and want to sneak in a bit more fluid before I eat.  I was told there was a benefit to having a "dry pouch" and observing the 30 minutes before eating.  I think it depends on how much you drink before you eat and how soon... since the liquid will fill the pouch and drain away, but I'm not sure at what rate. 

I've been out to dinner with several RNY friends that drink and eat at the same time and I'm not sure why they are doing this.  The dietician has told me clearly that this is simply washing the food out of their pouches and therefore they can eat more and will become hungry again soon.  Eating and drinking at the same time is basically sabotaging your surgery..but I've seen it happen a lot.

Sandy  Surgery Jan.18,2012 with Dr. Timothy Jackson at TWH.

HaroldC
on 10/26/12 5:20 am - Canada

I stick to 30 minutes after, but drink anytime before.

SW 291  GW 199.9 CW 180 Surgery: TWH Dr. Penner Dec 20 2011
Celebrating life and opportunities for new beginings!!!

Most Active