Anyone over a year out go to a Naturopath?

kellybelly333
on 10/15/12 10:32 pm - Toronto, Canada
I am going for a free assessment, after I had a client assessment at the fancy gym I went to yesterday. He said that my antioxidants are low, after using a Biophotonic machine on my palm. I told him that I am iron and vit D deficiant, and was trying to explain the surgery. He looked at me like I had four eyes. LOL. Anyhow, he got me the assessment with the naturopath for tomorrow, but i'm wondering if I should bother going or not. Can they help people post-surgery?

The other results from the assessment were

My body fat is 25%  
My weight is at the top end of normal (knew that)
And I carry 29% of my fat on my abdomen. No kidding! lol

But he was shocked at my calorie intake, versus my activity. Says i'm eating far too little, and on heavy workout days I should get at least 200-400 more. He was happy with my protein intake LOL

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Catw
on 10/15/12 10:53 pm - Arnprior, Canada
I've never been to a Naturopath, but I've known a couple people (not WLS related) that swear by them.

If it was me and I had time, I'd go for it (I'm a curious Cat) especially since it's free.  Just because you are assessed, doesn't mean you have to follow what they say.  If you do like what is said, ask at the clinic to be sure that it's OK to take what they suggest.  Some of the Naturopath remedies/treatments can affect other things that we do/take.  You don't need to have any bad reactions to things.

Some people just don't get us.  Especially if they have information that should be in a museum.  I laugh at the looks, and shake my head at the ignorance.  Not worth the argument.

Hopefully the NUT wil be able to help you add those calories without any problems.

Good luck with the appointments.

Cathy

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/12 11:44 pm - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
I am afraid that I am a little bit skeptical of naturopaths. I saw a program on Marketplace one night about some of the products that they sell.

Marketplace sent some of there products to a labratory and had them anazlyed and the amount of active ingredient in them was so minute it could not even be measured. The prices were very high and they always found that there patients always need several kinds of these supplements, which can mostly be purchased through them. 

mermaidz
on 10/16/12 12:03 am - Brampton, Canada
Naturopaths work on a different system than western medicine.

I think it wouldn't hurt to go and see what they have to say. But keep in mind that they are used to dealing with "intact" digestive systems so it needs to be one who understands the ramifications of the surgery you had and how your body is naturally now mal absorptive.

Let me know.. I'd like to hear what they have to say.

As for the caloric intake? I'm struggling with that too.. I'm 6 weeks out and I work out hard 3 times a week.. 500 calories doesnt seen normal but.. I am a newbie

Let me know please

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

PatXYZ
on 10/16/12 12:11 pm
If you go, be skeptical. Unlike real doctors, these people make thier money by selling you stuff, so it is in their interest to find all sorts of things wrong with you that only their products can help you with. So just be careful and not too easily parted from your money!

Are you seeing the naturopath due to a specific health concern or complaint?
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
Most Active