Heard back from my NUT - made me cry - article attached

kellybelly333
on 10/18/12 12:09 am - Toronto, Canada
You know what's funny? Before surgery, I wouldn't even imagined that being in the 130's was possible. And yet, here I am, and still not happy. It's what we talk about in therapy, trying to embrace it.

But like you said, I need to embrace it, or could be going down the path of regain. I don't want that.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Cuter_w_Curves
on 10/18/12 9:32 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
Embracing it is a battle...

Do you do any positive reinforcement things like... Writing positive self image notes to yourself, etc. I know that works for some...

Think about it like this... You're in the 1-30's now. NOT the 2-30's. Embrace that! Cheri****! You've done well and continue to do well...

It's time to take pride in what you've done, your accomplishments to date, and the life you've embraced... Embrace the woman who you are because of the changes you've made, and cerish her. Work with her instead of against her.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/12 8:58 am - Straford, Canada
 Based on your level of activity and what you do in your "free time" I get tired just reading your posts!  

I have no training in nutrition nor am I a "vet".  I do think you should be exteremly proud of how far you've come and revel in your new healthy lifestyle!  Just my opinion.  And a congrats is in order! 
kellybelly333
on 10/16/12 10:26 pm - Toronto, Canada
LOL. Thanks. I love the gym. And now I love running. I like being able to do things I never could have done 18 months ago. I should focus on that, no?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Patm
on 10/16/12 9:59 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I thik it is all a part of coming to terms with our new realities. Did you ever think before surgery you would have accomplished so much. I hope you can enjoy where you are at now. Good luck

Monica M.
on 10/16/12 10:09 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
what an amazing response! thank you for sharing.

ShallowGirl
on 10/16/12 10:30 am, edited 10/16/12 10:32 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I don't believe in set point theory.  If I did, I would still weigh 220 lbs.

I think this whole stress on how much you should eat to work out is a red herring.  

It's pretty simple.  If you want to work out, work out.  If you lose weight, that is the goal right?  If you are losing too fast, eat more or work out less.  It's a simple equation.  

I also believe that exercise is a very healthy thing for everyone including former fatties and your goal BMI is not an unhealthy one.

This "ultra spinning" strikes me as absurd.  I don't believe people CAN burn 600+ calories an hour, I think there is just "calorie burning inflation" to get people to sign up for the classes.  And why such an intense workout?  Are you training for the olympics?  Do you even bike in real life?

Why not just do moderate exercise more frequently, or up the intensity from moderate to mild?  

This whole dilemma you are having reminds me of optifast people who can't figure out how to mix their shakes.  Mixing a shake is simple, they are just bogged down in nerves about starting the process.

Your workout thing is actually a simple problem (to me).  You are confusing your workout nerves with the 100 lbs sound barrier.  (mental barrier).

To lose 5 lbs, you have to increase exercise and modify intake.  No one said you had to do it in a weekend.  

Just get started in a liveable routine.

I think Katie just thinks the last 5 lbs is not a "real" problem, as making the century club is not an official goal of the bariatric surgery.

Of course, easier to live someone else's life vs your own.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

kellybelly333
on 10/16/12 10:37 pm - Toronto, Canada
On October 16, 2012 at 5:30 PM Pacific Time, ShallowGirl wrote:
I don't believe in set point theory.  If I did, I would still weigh 220 lbs.

I think this whole stress on how much you should eat to work out is a red herring.  

It's pretty simple.  If you want to work out, work out.  If you lose weight, that is the goal right?  If you are losing too fast, eat more or work out less.  It's a simple equation.  

I also believe that exercise is a very healthy thing for everyone including former fatties and your goal BMI is not an unhealthy one.

This "ultra spinning" strikes me as absurd.  I don't believe people CAN burn 600+ calories an hour, I think there is just "calorie burning inflation" to get people to sign up for the classes.  And why such an intense workout?  Are you training for the olympics?  Do you even bike in real life?

Why not just do moderate exercise more frequently, or up the intensity from moderate to mild?  

This whole dilemma you are having reminds me of optifast people who can't figure out how to mix their shakes.  Mixing a shake is simple, they are just bogged down in nerves about starting the process.

Your workout thing is actually a simple problem (to me).  You are confusing your workout nerves with the 100 lbs sound barrier.  (mental barrier).

To lose 5 lbs, you have to increase exercise and modify intake.  No one said you had to do it in a weekend.  

I think Katie just thinks the last 5 lbs is not a "real" problem, as making the century club is not an official goal of the bariatric surgery.

Of course, easier to live someone else's life vs your own.

Answering your questions in point form

The theory is just that....a theory.

"It's pretty simple. If you want to work out, work out. If you lose weight, that is the goal right? If you are losing too fast, eat more or work out less. It's a simple equation."

If it is that simple, then tell me why I haven't lost anything since April. I workout 5-6 times a week. I don't do just spinning. I run, I bike (Yes, I actually bike outside), I do classes. Spinning is easy at lunch here at work. It's a class that a co-worker and I do together. We also do Body Pump and hot yoga. 

I have done three triathlons. I would like to start training for a marathon.....because I CAN.  

"It's pretty simple. If you want to work out, work out. If you lose weight, that is the goal right? If you are losing too fast, eat more or work out less. It's a simple equation."

I'm not losing at all. I get 900-1,000 calories a day. Over 100 grams of protein. Sometimes I have allowed myself to hit 1,200.  

I don't understand how going from moderate to mild "ups" the intensity. I do high now. Not sure how much higher I should be going.  

To lose 5 lbs, you have to increase exercise and modify intake. No one said you had to do it in a weekend.

Your notes confuse me again. I have been exercising, and switching up my routine since I was one month post-surgery. I haven't been trying to lose these last three pounds in a weekend, i've been trying since APRIL. Which i've stated. My routine is liveable. I've been doing it for a long time. The gym is literally 15 steps from my office. I go at lunch. I switch things up. I sweat like crazy.

Karen M.
on 10/16/12 10:53 pm - Mississauga, Canada
Don't *sweat it*, Kell - you're doing great and I admire your committment to exercise.  What I admire even MORE is your willingness to work on your head - you are FINE, sweetheart.  Don't waste space in that head of yours with confusing, chastising, non-sensical posts.

hug

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 10/16/12 11:00 pm - Toronto, Canada
Pun totally intended yes? LOL Thanks Karen!

Most Active