OT - Working from Home

kellybelly333
on 10/12/12 3:56 am - Toronto, Canada
Ok, in another post the topic was being a SAHM, and getting used to having to deal with a new routine. But this led me to wonder, something i've been considering for months, if there are actual real work at home jobs out there. My commute takes up to 3 hours out of my day. I would very much like to be home for the kids and save money on after school care.

Anybody work from home? There's a lot of sites out there, but who knows how legit they are?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Monica M.
on 10/12/12 3:59 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
i don't. I think i'd find it difficult, i procrastinate pretty badly as it is (witness my posting on OH during work time..shhh)

90% of my present job could be done from wherever, but my boss insists that i spend my time here at my desk. sigh. He's probably right tho.

P_Floyd
on 10/12/12 5:12 am - Canada
 Look to your strengths and consider ways of marketing them in a value added or service business that can be run from your home. Schools and all those parents make for a great customer base if you can provide something they need. I built a computer helpdesk which turned into Secure Server busines that I later sold. 

Just be forewarned that once you're in business for yourself and it's a home based business there are no off hours. 

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

Cuter_w_Curves
on 10/12/12 9:14 am - Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
VSG on 01/08/13
I own my own company... I am going to say a couple things. Please take them the "correct" way.

1. Working from home becomes hard because you are less motivated to "leave" the house unless you "have to". If this is something you struggle with at all during non-work hours... Please do not "work from home".

2. 9-5 no longer exists... 3 am calls have happened with emergencies... You do not get vacation without hassle when self-employed. Even if you have employees. Dinner is disrupted, movies are disrupted, family time can be a laughing matter.

3. Please consider something which you can "try" part time and "grow"... Rather than "jumping into" a stay at home position.

4. Figure out the financial needs for earnings if you work from home. Figure out if it is a viable option or not. If you can live on 300$ a week... or "float a client" until they get some money then sure... Work at home.

I do "reasonably ok"... My husband covers the mortgage, and the basics. I cover the "extras"... I currently have an outstanding balance owing to me of over 4750$ between a handful of clients. Can you live that way? Can you live with it when a client takes their children to Disney vacations, and fails to pay you the 800$ they owe you... For xmas time. Or will it send you into a tail spin?

People rarely realize that things like set hours, and motivation go by the wayside. It becomes a real struggle... If you  have deadlines to meet then who knows if you even have the ability or willpower to say "I am finished working for the day and I am going to bed".

Right now... I will plan to go to the gym/pool... Start to walk out the door... My cell phone rings... it is a client or former client who "has an emergency", or who "needs me to send them a file" and it can't wait... So I sit down and start to help them... I hang up. Then my phone rings with another client.

It is lovely that I have a business which thirves beautifully when I am interested in having it do so.  There are some days and some clients who's number comes up and I just start to vibrate (I've fired all but 3 as clients this year) and those clients have been major triggers for negative behaviours like smoking (which I gave up and in giving up it prompted the firing of the worst of the lot). Honestly the higher the amount of outstanding balances gets... the harder it is to motivate myself to want to handle a "new" client.

I hope you find a solution that will work for you... and I really do not mean to make it sound negative... I just don't want to sugar coat things for you. It is often times a lot easier not being the one to "deal" with the issues that arise.

Dr Sullivan VSG Jan. 8th, 2013!
  Lost 100 lbs in a year post op with a VSG. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/12 9:24 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I worked from home for 4 years but not for myself.  It was a job like a job that I went out to but did it from home.  It just fell in my lap and was a great fit for years.  Not sure if you are thinking of self-employed or working for others.  I had tons of structure in my day even though it was from home and I also had the flexibility of doing my own things as I set my own hours.
jewel-twin
on 10/12/12 12:41 pm - Canada
I work from home ill pm you.

Family Dr. 06/05/2012    Referral Received 06/28/2012 Orientation 08/01/2012   NP 08/27/2012
SW 08/28/2012              Nut Class 08/27/2012
NUT 10/01/2012              PS 10/01/2012
Surgeon Dr. Cyriac 12/07/2012  **SURGERY  JAN 30, 2013**

fooh.png

Most Active