In Pain vs Medicating with Food

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 3:46 am - Straford, Canada
 so you want me to book you accupuncture...
Kerry F.
on 10/1/12 3:20 am - Bolton, Canada
Sorry you're having this pain...especially since it's a precursor to migraines - not fun!!  I can identify with the old self-medicating behaviour; it's so easy to slip back into that old pattern.  I used to have frequent neck & back pain from injuries related to 2 different car accidents.  I started seeing a chiropractor and over time, found the pain almost eradicated.  It's not for everyone but I've experienced huge benefits from it; he also gave me a list of simple stretches which I try to do every day to keep muscles limber and try to avoid the tightening up.  Good luck!

Kerry

What lies behind us and what lies ahead of us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. - Ralph Waldo Emerson   

kellybelly333
on 10/1/12 5:26 am - Toronto, Canada
I used to see a chiropractor. If the pain persists or returns i will consider going again. I know all the tricks on heating and medicating, stretching and such, as I've had migraines and neck/shoulder pains since my teens. What is new for me is not turning to good for comfort. It's just something I haven't experienced yet.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Zmimshen
on 10/1/12 4:35 am - Canada
RNY on 01/15/13
 I am sorry you are in pain.
I sometimes get this pain in my shoulder/neck and it is usually due to stress.
You can actually see a bump start to form in my shoulder.
I use these heating pads that have stickers and attach to your body - they usually do the trick... but it does take a while.
I hope you find something to help with the pain - I am pre-op and most scared of parting from my Advil 

Orientation: Apr. 3, 2012; SW&NP: May 29, 2012; Nutrition class: June 19, 2012; Nutritionist: Aug. 29, 2012; Surgeon: Nov. 9, 2012; Surgery date:January 15, 2013; Highest weight: 357     Start of Opti weight: 338.6     Surgery Weight: 322.4   

mermaidz
on 10/1/12 7:30 am - Brampton, Canada
Hey Kelly

I can relate a bit to your wanting to go for food for comfort. It is hard. Having this RnY means I can no longer eat advil when my Fibro kicks up.. Not at all thrilled about that let me tell ya.

So.. its changing the tape in your head that says "I want food because I hurt and it makes me feel better". .. that tape.. the bad tape.

Change it to "If I eat I am only going to eat healthy foods because I love me. I will not sabotage all the hard work I have done over the last "X" months"..

Make it your mantra... and I am really pulling for you to get through this and find another course to cope with the pain

big hugs kiddo

d

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

ShallowGirl
on 10/1/12 5:29 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
I had 2 rear enders in a row a while back and I used to get awful neck headaches. I also get migraines.

You're probably better now, but I don't take caffeine as it causes muscle spasms/tightening.

The other things I would suggest would be a hot shower/bath and maybe some benadryl (although you may be a bit drugged up already with the robaxacet).

Re food for pain, there is a logic to it, higher blood sugars feel less pain. It is also a distraction to the body, an alternate and pleasurable sensation.

Um... could you substitute sex? Or shoe shopping ?

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active