In Pain vs Medicating with Food

kellybelly333
on 10/1/12 2:57 am - Toronto, Canada
For the first time since surgery, i'm in pain, and have been since Saturday. It is purely muscle pain, that I used to have before surgery, in my neck and shoulders. This usually leads to migraines. It hasn't so far, and i'm sad I can't take Advil. I've taken Tylenol, Robaxacet and had a massage with no help!! This brings me back so fast to how I used to medicate myself with food. All I want right now is chocolate and chips to help ease the pain. That's the irrational brain working. It won't cure the pain, at all. But it's the comfort, I guess. Sigh!! How do you fight demons like this?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Patm
on 10/1/12 3:03 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
I have fought this a little myself lately. I try to distract myslf. Also i tend to lecture myself. Probably not very productive but it's what I have

birdiegirl
on 10/1/12 3:08 am

Hi Kelly

I am sorry for you....I hate migraine

I find if I am able to catch it early enough....taking Tylenol with caffeinated coffee as a chaser helps....the caffeine is a good agent for meds delivery

So if you aren't at your maximum for Tylenol ( and what is in the robaxacet too)....try some with a full strength coffee....and maybe an ice pack and a dark room.....if its going to work it should do so in 15 minutes

Eating is a momentary problem solver....

Good luck

kellybelly333
on 10/1/12 3:12 am - Toronto, Canada
Oh yes, I had coffee too. I"m about to have more LOL. I might do a Tylenol 3 when I get home from work. I'm only here until 2:30, so I have to wait it out. I used to have medication for migraines that I would put under my tongue and have to lie down and wait for the blood to leave my head basically. It's not terrible. I don't feel sick....just amazed at the automatic feeling of needing to medicate with crap. I haven't felt that since surgery. More coffee now! And thanks!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 3:13 am - Straford, Canada
 Maybe ask Karen if hagus boy has a brother (thinking distraction)?  

On a more serious note, have you tried accupuncture for the tight muscles?  I love it and highly recommend it.  Almost nothing else can help like it can! 
kellybelly333
on 10/1/12 3:16 am - Toronto, Canada
I have my own Hagus Boy!! He's Scottish (well, his grandparents are) too. And he needs to distract me ASAP!

My co-worker suggested that too. I've always been scared to try!!

kellybelly333
on 10/1/12 3:16 am - Toronto, Canada
The acupuncture that is

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 3:35 am - Straford, Canada

(deactivated member)
on 10/1/12 3:40 am - Straford, Canada
 I have been to five accupuncturists over the years, all were highly qualified except one (my first one, as a needle virgin I had NO idea what to expect), but the others were/are very well trained and experienced. They didn't hurt me and did amazing things for me!  You should at least try it?  Or suffer...  which makes more sense?  

And a really hot bath with tons of epsom salts and an oily massage (and anything else that can distract) from your hagus boy would probably help too!  
kellybelly333
on 10/1/12 3:43 am - Toronto, Canada
I did have the epsom salts bath...and I got super dizzy!! That's a new one for me. Again, haven't had to have such a bath since surgery, so maybe it did something to my blood pressure?? My own hagus boy was kind enough to start a massage....and promptly fell asleep. !!!! Curses!

Most Active