Alcohol + Enlarged Liver

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/12 4:26 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Many people have Non Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease.  At times, I drink more than 2 glasses a week and other weeks I go months without any.  IMO you don't sound like you have a drinking problem but that doesn't mean it isn't affecting your liver.  A doctor should be able to tell you if you just still have an enlarged liver from obesity or if it's NAFLD.  Some people have enlarged livers all their lives and never touch a drop of alcohol.  It can become a problem if it changes over to cirrhosis so I'd be getting my liver monitored regularly to make sure nothing changes for the worst.
kellybelly333
on 9/27/12 8:28 pm - Toronto, Canada
 Good to know! I suppose that is kind of what I'm getting at. Is having two to three glasses of wine a week for someone who had surgery the same as having several a day for those who hadn't...on our livers? Doesn't make me an alcoholic, as that is a mental disease, but my liver doesn't know that. I'm goin to stick to special occasions. Wine is empty calories anyway. :)

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/12 5:49 am - Straford, Canada
I had an abdominal unltrasound done two years and one year before my surgery, so in a few monthes when I have another it may show an interesting change (or not).  That actually started my whole bariatric trip in Toronto, as the unltrasound showed huge gallstones, lots of fat around the liver and gallbladder and I was referred to an endocrinlogist because of those and a hinky cholesterol test.  It was the endocrinologist *****commended bariatrics for me...  
ShallowGirl
on 9/27/12 5:57 am, edited 9/27/12 5:57 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Before any of this wls workup I was told I had a fatty liver. I looked it up, and although it is "linked" to alcohol abuse, at the time I had been 4 years sober (I was always a light drinker and totally stopped drinking when I married my recovering husband) but I also heard it was linked to a cycle of yo-yo dieting, the weight gain on the bounce back went to the liver.

In short, I think the liver is more complex than just alcohol.

Have you been cleared of all hepatitises A,B,C too?
Are your liver enzymes OK?
Sometimes there is "portal hypertension" that can manifest by venous blood engorging your liver.

Cheerful aren't I ???

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

kellybelly333
on 9/27/12 8:31 pm - Toronto, Canada
 My enzymes are perfect and I did do the Hep testing a few years ago (did a whole lot of testing when you find out your husband cheats on you.....unprotected!) 

As many of us did, I have yo-yo dieted since I was 12. I never thought of that affecting my liver.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/12 10:26 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Kelly not saying you have NAFLD but if you look it up many people that had gastric bypass are in the high risk category of getting it.  I know you said your GP said in 2002 your liver was enlarged so it may be nothing.  If all your other liver tests are fine, I'd not be concerned.  I don't think 2 drinks a week on us is the same or even close to the same as 2 drinks daily on a non WLS person.  The liver processes it the same in us as it does in them so 2 drinks a week is the same for both categories.  My mom has always had an enlarged liver and she may have had 30 drinks her whole life, it's enlarged not fatty so there is a difference.  They have always kept an eye on her liver tests but she's 75 and her liver still is just enlarged and no other illnesses from it.

Sounds like your GP, who knows you better, has a better handle on it so I'd stick to what he/she thinks when it comes to your liver and let the shrink stick to their area of expertise.
kellybelly333
on 9/28/12 12:12 am - Toronto, Canada
 I agree and felt better after I spoke with her. I barely drank before surgery and my big fatty liver is this way due to my overeating. I still feel that I barely drink now, and when I have my Cat scan on October 5th I will ask about this issue, which I'm thinking isn't as much of an issue as I first thought. I will keep you all posted.

ShallowGirl
on 9/28/12 12:33 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Actually, that's the new "news".  Post WLS the liver processes alcohol differently.  
That said, I don't think 2 a week is cause for concern.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/12 12:35 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
I haven't heard of anything that says it's different but will wait and see if anything official ever comes out.  And it would be different for different WLS procedures since they aren't all the same.
Most Active