Alcohol + Enlarged Liver

kellybelly333
on 9/27/12 12:41 am - Toronto, Canada
So at my shrink appointment yesterday, he looked at my ultrasound results as we talked gall bladder sludge...and he said that my liver is enlarged. Meanwhile, I just told him about my girl's weekend and how I managed to drink a bottle of wine. And one Crystal light with vodka.

But that's a one-off. At most I will have a total of two glasses of wine a week. I love wine, but I get too silly and it's not worth it. Also, I haven't been able to tell if it causes me tummy problems, so I don't bother that much. But it's the insinuation that I might have a problem that made me wonder if I do. Or if having 2 a week = someone without a surgically altered body having two a day. 

I did have more on the weekends in the summer (my ultrasound was July 27th).

With all this said, I never had an ultrasound before surgery to compare. But, could I be doing damage, or is my liver still enlarged from being obese?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/12 12:48 am - Straford, Canada
 I understand (which means I don't really know lol) that the whole optifast thing is because all of us obese folks have enlarged livers.  I know mine is enlarged with lots of fatty deposits around it (so I have been told by technician).  Your post made me wonder, as we loose weight, does that automatically mean we have a less enlarged liver and will fatty deposits around it be a natural part of our weight loss?  hmmmm.  
kellybelly333
on 9/27/12 4:19 am - Toronto, Canada
Just did a bit of research and see that people were two years out saying that their livers are finally a normal size. My family doctor saw the results and mentioned it, but didn't say that it was a bad thing. I just figured it was because i'm formerly obese. I believe the shrink is asking because enlarged liver is often associated with drinking. That said, with the exception of my girl's weekend, I barely have had a drop. So, not really worried that I have a problem, just wondering if the amount I have had over the past year has done damage.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

P_Floyd
on 9/27/12 1:33 am - Canada
 One thing you can try, is stop drinking. Not forever but let it go for a few months and see how it goes. If you can do that without a problem, then you don't have a drinking issue and need not worry about it. If the thought of going without for that long really bothers you, then consider talking to someone about it. 

Being fat puts stress on all your organs, so having indications that your liver is stressed isn't a big surprise after all you and the rest of us have been through. Mine's enlarged too and I don't drink at all any more. Lord help me. sniff...

One thing about the liver though is it's a tough organ. It recovers quickly and when nurished, can deal with a lot of abuse. So try a little self check with the wine and then you will know if it's affecting your liver more than you can handle.

Long you live and high you fly 
And smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry 
And all you touch and all you see 
Is all your life will ever be.

DSOTM

kellybelly333
on 9/27/12 4:22 am - Toronto, Canada
It's easy enough for me to do to stop. It doesn't freak me out in the least thinking I can't have wine. I will have a glass at Thanksgiving next. Nice to hear that it can stand the abuse. I didn't drink much before surgery, I think the abuse it took was from all the garbage I ate. I suppose that's why we have to lay off booze for the first while. Our livers are needing a break and a cleanse.

Patm
on 9/27/12 2:03 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12
So I have given up sugar, fat and carbs. Please do not take away my wine. I was a little worried since every vacation this summer has revolved around wineries. But I am pretty sure I can still say no and I did when we were driving from winery to winery. I became the designated driver. I think two  week is heart healthy and not a problem but only you know for sure.

mermaidz
on 9/27/12 3:56 am - Brampton, Canada
On September 27, 2012 at 7:41 AM Pacific Time, kellybelly333 wrote:
So at my shrink appointment yesterday, he looked at my ultrasound results as we talked gall bladder sludge...and he said that my liver is enlarged. Meanwhile, I just told him about my girl's weekend and how I managed to drink a bottle of wine. And one Crystal light with vodka.

But that's a one-off. At most I will have a total of two glasses of wine a week. I love wine, but I get too silly and it's not worth it. Also, I haven't been able to tell if it causes me tummy problems, so I don't bother that much. But it's the insinuation that I might have a problem that made me wonder if I do. Or if having 2 a week = someone without a surgically altered body having two a day. 

I did have more on the weekends in the summer (my ultrasound was July 27th).

With all this said, I never had an ultrasound before surgery to compare. But, could I be doing damage, or is my liver still enlarged from being obese?
Ask your surgeon about why its enlarged.

If you are scared you have a drinking problem, google it. Maybe on the AA site or something.

Could be a few reasons why but find the facts first.. and pinkie had a good idea.. Leave it alone for a few months..See what happens

But try not to fret and get facts first ok?

Good luck!

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

kellybelly333
on 9/27/12 4:25 am - Toronto, Canada
Wishing I had an ultrasound before though. Did anyone else have an abdominal ultrasound before to see how enlarged their organs were? I only had this done because i've been having pain. In fact, now that I think of it, the surgeon who did my scope on Tuesday saw the ultrasound and saw it was enlarged, but didn't say a thing about it. Ah well.

Nikkismom
on 9/27/12 1:39 pm - Toronto, Canada
 Hi Kelly,
I had an enlarged liver and elevated liver enzymes 4 years ago which prompted me to quit the drink. I had worked hard to keep up with my good friends, Heather being one, and dammit, I lost that contest. As she put it so eloquently, "Oh good, you are now our DD,!"
Weve Put our bodies through hell. Perhaps stop,for a few months and relook at your liver. How were your enzymes?
Carol

Referral April 2012, Surgery August 21, 2012
kellybelly333
on 9/27/12 8:22 pm - Toronto, Canada
 Enzymes are perfect. My family doctor says it was enlarged and fatty in 2002, and not to worry. She added that my shrink didn't have the before "shot",, which makes it hard to compare. Transfer addictions happen often and I can see that I might have to be careful in the future. I know several people who werent drinkers before and drink too much now...and they are three to five years out. The macdonalds are hard to keep up with for sure!! Lol I'm always the DD. 

Most Active