Protein Shake = gentle laxative??

kellybelly333
on 9/8/12 12:56 pm - Toronto, Canada
 So. I have been whining about constipation. Got that fixed. Whined about cheese and the possible hall bladder pain that give me. So I fixed that by eliminating cheese and anything high fat dairy in my diet (which wasn't much of anything else). Now I shall somewhat-whine about.....the poops! Lol I keeps getting cleaned out within two hours of the protein coffee I added to my diet. 

Anyone else have this....."issue"? (I say it like that because I'd rather this than constipation any day). 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

missingmanny
on 9/8/12 3:11 pm - Canada
An excellent way to balance your b.m.'s is to use a good quality probiotic...they keep your gut bacteria active and healthy.  Works for constipation or diarrhea...daily doses of simple to swallow capsules and refrigerate.  Also excellent to restore good bacteria after an antibiotic prescription...just check with your Dr., if they can be taken in unison or hrs. apart...I just finished with a chest infection and the antibiotic prescribed was okay with my probiotic.  My Dr. thinks they're a good thing and also, if you're prone to yeast infections, esp. after an antibiotic, you likely can avoid by using said probiotic.  All the best...m
Oh yes, and the NUT where I had my surgery said, when I asked if I could continue my probiotics, that there had been a study that showed that folks who took them had a greater loss of poundage after wls....

HW 268  SW 261  CW 166GW 170 
View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com    

kellybelly333
on 9/8/12 7:24 pm - Toronto, Canada
I started taking a probiotic when I first got cOnstipated, and it worked...for two day. Then my constipation came back....and it was worse. I kept up with the probiotic, but became too miserable with it. I took Resorolax for a few days a week ago and everything came out my let. I added the protein to my coffee the past four days, and that's when the BIG change to loose and sometimes explosive poops happened (ing). 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

PaulaToronto
on 9/8/12 3:14 pm - Toronto, Canada
Never had that reaction and drink 1-2 shakes a day. How much coffee did you use and do you normally drink coffee?

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

kellybelly333
on 9/8/12 7:25 pm - Toronto, Canada
 I am a regular coffee drinker. I only added the protein shake the past few days.

ShallowGirl
on 9/8/12 11:19 am, edited 9/8/12 12:41 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12

Does your protein have lactose? If you are lactose intolerant that could add to the greased lighning effect of the coffee/protein drinks.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

kellybelly333
on 9/9/12 5:16 am - Toronto, Canada
 It doesn't say "lactose-free", so I'm guessing that it does. I don't have any problems with any other lactose products. Maybe it's the "digesting enzymes"? It's still a nice switch from before lol.

Nadine W.
on 9/9/12 5:07 am - Hanover, Canada
Yes it does it to me every time I drink a protein shake. And mine are lactose free.
I agree it's much better than the alternative!
Refer June 4/10, Orientation Dec 16/10, Nut, SW & Nurse Mar 16/11, Internist Apr. 19/11, Nut May 3/11, Nut Class Oct 5/11, Dr. Pereira-Hong Nov. 1/11, Surg Jan. 4/12, Cancellation! New surg date Nov. 10/11. The rest is still unwritten...

ShallowGirl
on 9/9/12 6:44 am - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
Nice to have a quick-fix available.

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

Most Active