Do protein shakes have to be Isolate?

prdmomof3
on 8/11/12 3:03 am - Canada
I am having a hard time finding my protein shakes now, walmart seems to be not selling them anymore, so I am wondering do they have to be an Isolate?

Michelle.  Thanks

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/12 5:34 am - Canada
RNY on 08/10/12
They sell whey isolate at Costco or GNC, yea they should be whey isolate according to the paperwork

Good luck with your search.
Diminishing Dawn
on 8/11/12 6:33 am - Windsor, Canada
 Isolate is preferred or concentrate.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

ShallowGirl
on 8/11/12 12:18 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 06/22/12
You can also use skim milk powder as a protein powder.

"have to be" is a bit strong, since you don't "have to" drink ANY kind of protein shake if you are getting enough protein in your diet. Isolate is "recommended" and priced very high, compared to other proteins. (ie eggs, milk, etc...)

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams. Eleanor Roosevelt    

NorthernStar
on 8/11/12 1:34 pm - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12
Your protein should be whey, unless you can't tolerate it. Whey comes in two forms, whey isolate and whey concentrate. I think for our purposes either is fine. I have some friends who are gym fiends, and they will only do whey isolate, but they have different needs.

The Premier protein shakes from Costco are whey concentrate.

If you can't do whey you can also try soy, but stay away from casein.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active