Lumpy premier protein shake from Costco

Kelshy
on 8/10/12 6:32 am, edited 8/10/12 12:19 am - Cannifton, Canada
Ok what gives?

My protein shakes have gone lumpy!!! I tried shaking the lumps out and drank a quarter of one tetra pack but could not tolerate the texture. I have 1 1/2 cases left now of lumpy shakes.

I suppose I could just take them back to Costco but I live at least an hour drive from the nearest one.

Has anyone else had them go lumpy? I bought these ones a couple months ago and the best before date is January 2013.

FYI .... Worse than opticrap!!

Chris

Feb 19 2010 Referral to Ottawa         Nov 24 2010 Orientation at TWH
Jan 25 2011 Nurse                               Feb 16 2011 Social Worker
March 10 2011 Psychiatrist                 April 8 2011 Surgeon
Surgery May 9 2011                             Bowel Obstruction/ internal Hernia Feb 13 2013  

kellybelly333
on 8/10/12 6:55 am - Toronto, Canada
I had the same problem a year ago with them, and I figured they were maybe sitting out in the heat too long? I didn't have anymore after that actually!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Aca-Verity
on 8/10/12 7:00 am - Canada
VSG on 06/06/12
I had bought my shakes on sale a while before I was going to start Opti.  The BB date was Dec 2012.  They were ALL lumpy!!

I read somewhere on the "main" forum (I think) that this was caused by the separation  of the "whey" in the drink and that it was not harmful.  Sure was UCKY though.  I recommend that you mix it with lots of ice in a blender or, shake the hell out of it in a blender bottle....it kinda/sorta gets better.

When I called Costco, they said that I could return it if I wanted but, that they had had no other complaints.

I used all 3 cases of it.  The latest cases I've bought are dated June 2013 and are perfectly fine.

Good Luck!

Verity

Lynette1962
on 8/10/12 7:32 am - Whitby, Canada
 Hi - my only suggestion would also be , next time you are close by, take them back - Costco is so good in returning items.  

No use forcing yourself to drink them....

I have reached my goal weight ..... and LOVE my RNY !!!!!!!!!

Nathalie_Can
on 8/10/12 7:35 am
Yeah, it happens now and then and apparently its from heat but doesn't mean they gone bad.  Some here do take them back.  I just throw away the case since I'm a 6 hour drive...lol...but HATE it when it happens.  Hopefully your second case is not the lumpy.  My husband puts it in the blender and it takes care of the lumps but me, no can do once I know.  I'm a baby like that...lol

~Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you really wanted!~    

KristieA
on 8/10/12 9:10 am - Orillia, Canada
I recently had the same problem. Their policy from what I was told is if there is 1/2 a case+ left they will replace the whole case. That being said, they were really good with me. I had dumped a couple of tetra packs out and only had three left in the case and they replaced the whole thing. Best that they know there is a problem. I think the expiry date on mine was Feb 2013. Maybe there was a problem with that lot/batch. Not sure.

Pain in the butt.

"Don't trade what you want the most,
                    for what you want at the moment."

JoolieBoolie
on 8/10/12 9:13 am - St. Thomas, ON, Canada
RNY on 05/11/12
I think Premier had a couple bad batches.  The ones that expire Dec 2012 and Jan 2013.
I returned 2 cases and Costco was already quite aware of the shakes' lumpy issue.  They had a lot of returns already.  Costco will even take back the half case.  They did for me.

HW 363lbs SW 283lbs
Joyce J.
on 8/10/12 9:57 am - Scarborough, Canada
Ewww

One lumpy one would be enough to make me never have another..

I feel for ya

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

PWA93
on 8/10/12 10:01 am - Canada
RNY on 02/02/12
 I had the same issue with mine.  Just put them in a blender or Magic bullet and blend for a few seconds are they are perfectly good again.  No change in taste.  I like to add ice to thicken them up.

RufusLynx
on 8/10/12 10:49 am - Canada
I had the same thing happ0en...

I wrote to premier and got an email back right away, saying they were aware of a problem with recent recipe change they made and they sent me a check of $25 to pay for the case.

here's a cut and paste of their email:

==

Hi Peter,  

Thank you for contacting Premier Nutrition regarding your recent experience with our product. What you experienced was a byproduct of a reformulation we tried with the intent on making the shakes thicker in consistency. Due to the fact that they either congealed or clumped post-production, we have gone back to our original formulation. There is no health concern, but it is rather unappetizing and we apologize for this inconvenience.

Please provide the Lot Information, which can be found on the top of any individual carton above the opening. An example would be:

Apr 12 2012

1234P1FIA

12:34

Also please provide your mailing address so that we can issue you a refund check.

Thank you,

Premier Nutrition

Customer Support

=============

Peter

Referred: August 8, 2012. - Referral to HRRH  Dr. Hagan Dec 20 - Surgery scheduled for April 16, 2013! Surgery completed and I`m doing fine!

Most Active