Need to vent! Referral process thru the Military is frustrating.

Armyguy1976
on 7/4/12 8:11 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Afternoon all,

Being 2 weeks to the day from my visit to my MO/PCP and her enthusiastic support of my request for WLS i thought i would check in , thank her again for being so understanding and inquire into the status of my referral. Sadly she hasn't sent it in yet due to her misunderstanding that she required a referral form from the Kingston regional centre here at Hotel Deiu, I tried explaining to her for the second time that as of 2012 she is required to submit the referral thru the baritric registry online only. She assures me I'm wrong and will process  and FAX the referral if/when she gets the local hospital referral form. She;'s spoken to her boss the chief surgeon at Can Forces Base Kingston and that's the way they do there referrals for years ..

So I'm stuck waiting for a non existent form for her to fax and even a direct email from the baritric registry instigated on my behalf telling the military just what the new requirements for referrals are seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

I'm in no way blaming my Dr, she's been amazing throughout this process and believes this is the right step. It just seems the Military is not up to date on the referral process and i can only 'politely" correct them a few times before I'm deemed a trouble maker, ah the joys of the military life.

Any advice? Anyone else struggle with there Dr understanding the referral process. I've made a few friends here who I'm sure can relate.

I'm just so disheartened as making the choice to go ahead with surgery has been a struggle for me for quite some time and I was on a high 2 weeks ago leaving her office.

And thus concludes today's rant! 

Kb

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/4/12 8:16 am - Windsor, Canada
 http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/providers/program/ohip/bulletins/4000/bul4518.pdf

Perhaps bring her a copy of the above.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

(deactivated member)
on 7/4/12 8:26 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Why not have your doctor call the Registry to see if it may be different for Military.
(deactivated member)
on 7/4/12 9:07 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Both good pieces of advise from the two previous posters, I just want to say hang in there. It is a long road for all of us just know you have lots of support here and that if you have waited this long a little while longer will be worth it.
Armyguy1976
on 7/4/12 9:18 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Just wanted to take a second and thank everyone for there support and advice. 

I'm kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place, the military doesn't usually respond kindly to mbrs correcting there decisions, so even though I know the correct referral process it's not easy for me to tell them there out of date. 

I will give it another week or so and try my luck at nudging them again in the right direction till then this site and you members have been a wealth of knowledge and support, 

On a personal note I would like to thank Diminishing Dawn , her online blog witch I've read from start to finish more then once along with the people I have met in the Kingston support group have helped me push thru my doubts and move ahead towards surgery may very well help save my life if not at least prolonged it and hopefully make it more enjoyable down the road!

Thanks again all and to all a good night :) 

Kb

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

Diminishing Dawn
on 7/4/12 10:43 am - Windsor, Canada
 Thanks for the kind words.  It is very much appreciated that you let me know I helped you in some way with your journey. 

Sounds like you are going to need some patience with your doctor.   I figure it could be a touchy thing with your doctor. I guess you'll just need patience and persistence.  

Have a great night!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

KAT_P
on 7/4/12 9:23 am - Canada
RNY on 06/05/13

Yes - my doctor faxed in my referral to Ottawa on May 1.  She wasn't aware of the new process since it's been a while since she referred any of her patients.

The fax ended up at  the weight management clinic for the liquid diet.  I called my dr and gave her the website for the registry and she did the referral on-line no problem on June 1.

Good luck to you.  Which hospital are you going through

Ottawa Referral:June 1, 2012 ~ Information Session:July 6, 2012~ Sleep Study: July 6, 2012  Nurse:December 12, 2012~ Social Worker and Dietician:February 5, 2013 ~ Ultrasound: March 15, 2013Nutrition class: March 27, 2013 ~ Surgeon Consult: April 4, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Surgery: June 5, 2013 (Dr. Mamazza) ~ Plastic Surgery: March 10, 2015 (Fleur-de-Lis Tummy Tuck)

Armyguy1976
on 7/4/12 9:33 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Hey Kat, 

well i'm posted here at CFB Kingston so i'm guessing all my admin/apointments will be here in Kingston regional centre and then surgery in Ottawa. Honestly though I have no preference for hospital or surgeon at this point. I'm under a time crunch of July 2013 though as we are posted on the east coast then I'm told NB/NS wait lists are approching 5 years.  I intend to push as hard as possible to have the surgery by spring 2013, I certainly don't want to cut in line but i willing to take any and all cancelled apointments at the drop of a hat.  

worst case being me having to self fianance it down south if i'm not making progress by Xmas.

KeithB

gardeninggal
on 7/4/12 10:24 am - Midland, Canada
 Hang in there buddy!

I can well appreciate your frustrations and having a son who is former military I can tell you that your words about the regulations are certainly familiar as he called them 'rants' as well.  I would have thought that miliary personnel would get top notch, even priority over civilians (hey, even prisoners are treated first right?).  Sounds like you have been given excellent advice here and keep pushing the buttons.  I had my first meeting group meeting with the SW and DT class and asked at that time if there were any cancellations and I lucked out.  Apparently a weekly phone call is acceptable at the offices too so keep trying, especially if you are in a position to accept an appt. at the drop of a hat.

It is exciting to have made the referral qualifier and now you just want to get on with the whole thing.  

Think positive 
Nancy

Patti K.
on 7/4/12 11:34 am - Kingston On, Canada
Armyguy...sorry you're facing some road blocks...but everyone has given you excellent suggestions....just take one day at a time...just be equipped with the best knowledge possible!!  Patti K.

Most Active
Recent Topics