Kingston Army guy just starting the uphill climb to RNY

Armyguy1976
on 6/25/12 11:58 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 Morning all, 

Just wanted thank all those I've met on this forum and let them know it was there stories both good and bad and there strength that has helped me make this life altering choice to proceed with WLS.

I'm a serving member of the Military so my process from start to finish might be different then those of you going the civilian route, I just wanted to share my news that today June 26th I had my results of sleep study and I do indeed suffer from obstructive Sleep Apnea and while my BMI is still stuck at 39.4 i believe with this Co morb I should be approved. I see my MO/GP this afternoon and will be asking for referral. 

Anyone in Kingston going thru this process? What is the start to finish time frame?how is your experience with the Kingston regional centre been?The idea of waiting 2 years in my current condition and being in the military seems hopeless. I'm strongly considering going to Mexico for surgery? Thoughts? 

Any help, advice or just understanding would be amazing. 

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

Gabygee
on 6/26/12 12:14 am - Canada
We'll be interested to see how different the process (esp. administratively) is for you as opposed to us civilians.

The best of luck to you - sounds like you've made the right decision for you.
And welcome to the board.

Derek C.
on 6/26/12 4:11 am - North Bay , Canada
The process is very different because it is easier for the military to boot you out than fix you up -- i work at a military base and have been chatting extensively with Army Guy .  Fact is they want our troops to be fit and ready to be deployable - however if your found not to be deployable - your really not employable - fact of life in the military.  additionally the military member dosent have a family doctor - just a mediacal officer so referalss are extremly tough here in ontario to the registry

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

Laurie C.
on 6/26/12 12:41 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

welcome, congratulations on your decision, you're in the right place for support and knowledge

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

Catw
on 6/26/12 12:44 am - Arnprior, Canada
Morning!  Welcome to the board.

I do know that there are a number of members from Kingston on the board, and I think that they go to Ottawa for the surgery (Not 100% sure though).  And it can be up to 2 years for the surgery date depending on your medical history.  I do not know if this would be any different with you being in the military or not.

I have nothing against surgery in Mexico by any means, but one thing that you lose by going down there is the support and follow up that you would get by having it done up here.  Also when you go through Ontario, they help you with the psycological side as well as the physical side when getting ready for the surgery.  I'm not sure if you would get that in Mexico or not.

We all got/get frustrated with the hurry up an wait that is the nature of the process, but it also gives us time to really research and prepare ourselves for the new lifestyle we have chosen.

Ultimately, the decision is yours,

Cathy

sam1am
on 6/26/12 1:25 am
Congratulations on starting this life saving procedure!  I have no idea, but I'm hoping that since you are military (thank you for your services), that you will be given preferential treatment.  A little wait, is tremendous in helping you to be prepared, but two years is downright deflating.

All the best!

Sandy                                           

"The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody  else up"                     

Mark Twain                                                       LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg image by PlicketyCatAnimation One      

(deactivated member)
on 6/26/12 1:34 am - Peterborough, Canada
RNY on 10/19/12
Welcome again and I sure hope that you can move this process along a little faster that the two year. Best of Luck. Deb
Karen M.
on 6/26/12 2:49 am - Mississauga, Canada
Best wishes for a speedy trip through the process!

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Armyguy1976
on 6/26/12 7:07 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13
 today was the first real step to a new me! after getting my sleep study results and learning I have sleep apnea I went and saw my GP and she agreed to my referal to the regional center here in Kingston 

Needless to say I'm over the moon! Being I the military it was a huge step to ask for help and the fact that my doctor is on board was a great mOment 

Heres hopIng the hoops I have to jump thru now are just as successful 

JJ_
on 6/26/12 8:16 am
YAY, Congrats on getting through the first steps.

Judy in Ottawa
Most Active
Recent Topics