Revision to RNY?

kellybelly333
on 6/12/12 3:20 am - Toronto, Canada
This subject was brought up at a recent WLS friends dinner. A few were wondering how you go about having revision to RNY....one person is 5 years out and has gained 30 pounds from her lowest (didn't quite make it to goal) and the other also had significant regain, but I can't remember how far out she is. Any ideas?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/12 3:22 am, edited 6/12/12 3:23 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada
Revision or virgin, they still have to go through the registry and still have to qualify with BMI/co-morbidities. 

ETA:  This is on the registry's website under FAQs

What if I’ve had a past Bariatric Surgery? There is a spot on the referral form where you can indicate that you have had previous bariatric surgery.

kellybelly333
on 6/12/12 4:05 am - Toronto, Canada
Interesting. thank you. I'll forward that info along. I just did some researching on RNY revisions. Sometimes I think I shouldn't research so much. It scares the crap out of me thinking of the regain I will have someday :-(

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Joyce J.
on 6/12/12 4:22 am - Scarborough, Canada
HI Kelly

They would have had to have another surgery to have a revision to RNY. If it's the same two people I'm thinking about they had RNY already

Take care

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

jewel-twin
on 6/12/12 5:44 am - Canada
If they already had RNY the only revision would be DS right? and i am pretty sure that the surgeons would not let them have a DS for 30 lbs.

I think the key is they have to get back to basics...

Juls
PatXYZ
on 6/12/12 7:22 am
Revision of RNY sometimes involves stoma tightening. They will conduct tests and scopes to determines if the stoma has been stretched and if it has, it can be tightened. How effective this is is questionable.

A much more involved revision, usually reserved for people who have regained to the point of an obese BMI again is a revision to DS. This involves fully reversing the RNY, then creating the VSG, then changing the intestinal reconfiguration. The only surgeon in Canada who does this regularly is Dr. Gagner in Montreal and he often does it in two procedures.
I had OHIP approved Duodenal Switch surgery with Dr. Dennis Hong at St. Joseph's Hamilton on March 7th, 2012. Want more information on the DS in Ontario? Send me a private message!
kellybelly333
on 6/13/12 12:16 am - Toronto, Canada
Thanks for all the answers! I don't believe either person would qualify for surgery again. Their BMI would be too low.

Most Active