Round Three of Iron Infusion

kellybelly333
on 5/4/12 12:28 am - Toronto, Canada
Today I go for my third, and hopefully last, iron infusion. It's been an interesting experience to say the least. More than anything I do notice a difference in my concentration. I actually read a book (The Hunger Games, not exactly tough reading), which I haven't been able to do since surgery. I know that my iron has been slipping since surgery a year ago, but I didn't know how much it affects your level of concentration...until now.

I haven't really noticed an increase in energy, but maybe, just maybe after this last round, I will?!?

So today, instead of infusing myself with a Caesar on the patio with my office, i'm infusing myself with iron at the hospital. LOL. A much healthier choice methinks!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Monica M.
on 5/4/12 1:04 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
well, the caesar sounds way more fun, but good luck with the iron infusion!

Joyce J.
on 5/4/12 1:30 am - Scarborough, Canada
Hi Kelly

Wow, third time. Hopefully "third times a charm".

Good luck with it

Have a great day(otherwise)

Joyce----Today is the first day of the rest of your life

Marls
on 5/4/12 1:34 am - Canada
I told you so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   I will PM you
DonnaK12
on 5/4/12 2:17 am - Brooklin, Canada
RNY on 04/25/12
Good luck!!

AllaP
on 5/4/12 11:21 am - Vaughan, Canada
 I hope it works for you Kelly, and it's gonna be your last infusion.

Alla.

debralight
on 5/4/12 11:34 am - Canada
There is thought i might need to go down this road. What are the infusions like? Painful? 
Sometimes the best support  you can get isn't all purple puddles and pink rainbows.

kellybelly333
on 5/5/12 5:25 am - Toronto, Canada
Thanks everyone. The infusion is not painful. Just an IV for a few hours. I had ti go three times because my ferritin was so low. Andrea, who is also on the board, went once. Mostly it's an inconvenience. The first time I felt horrible after and jut went ti bed for the night. Last time I was ok, but felt achy flu-like symptoms the next day. This time I was tired after, my pee was yellow-brown and today I could barely move when I got up. Took tylenol, twice.Had to miss my hot yoga class! Booo. With that said my concentration level is back. And I expect my energy will be too. I will stay on feramax and see what my levels are like three weeks from now. If they are good I go off the one feramax a day. If not I up them and keep checking. Fingers crossed! Not really wanting to have this again, but if I have to I have to.

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Ammi Tu
on 5/5/12 5:41 am
RNY on 04/13/12
Best of luck to you honey!!!
Let us know how it goes :-)

Referral: pre-Aug 2010 <>  Info Session: Mar 18/11 <>  Nurse Practioner: Oct  31/11  <>  Behaviourist/Dietitian: Nov 15/11 <> Social Worker: end Nov/11  <>  Endoscopy: Jan 18/12 <>  Education Class: Feb 29/12  <>  Surgeon Mtg: Mar 6, 2012  <>  Called w/Date: 20 Mar, 2012 <> Surgeon: Dr. Mamazza  <> RNY Surgery Date: 13 Apr/12
Ottawa34
on 5/5/12 12:49 pm - Ottawa, Canada
Do you have to go through your WLC for this or through your fam doctor.  I've been feeling really run down lately, and i've had low iron stores since before surgery.  I was wondering if this iron infusion would be a good boost to get me back into the swing of things.

While you're getting the infusion, are you still taking your daily iron supplement ? 

Good luck, you know what they say 3rd time's the charm (i know cheesy lol) 

Amy

Amy   
Submission for surgery -  October 2009            Info session - Jan 2010 
Nut & RN & behaviourist appt - Sept 2010          Follow up NUT appt - Jan 2011
Surg
eon appt - Jan 2011                                     RNY - March 4th, 2011 

Most Active