Diabetes

Dianadcr
on 3/16/12 4:59 am - Canada
I was taken off all my diabetic pills after surgery. I'm a bit concerned because my numbers in the evening range from 3.6 to 4.3 in the evening and then are up to 6 - 6.4 ( fasting ) in the morning. I'm worried my numbers are high in the morning. I know I will address this with the diabetes nurse in two weeks. Any thoughts from the group. Thanks
  Diana

Catw
on 3/16/12 5:23 am - Arnprior, Canada

What is the time of your last meal/snack at night?  It could be that you don't have enough in your system for the night, and you have a sugar low in the middle of the night, resulting in your body trying to compensate.  You may need a small snack just before bed, it will help prevent a sugar low.  I know a number of diabetics that have been told to do that. It could be that although you are generally controlled, you'll still have to watch for those sugar lows.

It's something to try, but I'd still ask the nurse as I'm not a pro at this.

Cathy

Dianadcr
on 3/16/12 5:26 am - Canada
Thanks Cathy. I finish eating around 6:30 and don't have an evening snack. Just too scared to get into evening snacking but maybe I should try something lite before bedtime.
  Diana

Catw
on 3/16/12 5:33 am - Arnprior, Canada
If you have a planned, healthy snack, it won't be bad for you.  It's the unplanned, or questionable snacks that we need to worry about.  Your body may just need that little bit in the evening where others may not.

Good luck.
Dianadcr
on 3/16/12 5:37 am - Canada
I plan all my other meals and snacks so it makes sense to plan something healthy in the evenings. I think I'll have a lite laughing cow on a piece of Melba and see how that affects my numbers tomorrow morning. Thanks.
  Diana

JJ_
on 3/16/12 6:08 am
Dianadcr
on 3/16/12 6:23 am - Canada
Thanks judy, snack it is.
  Diana

onmom
on 3/16/12 6:43 am
Check out the Dawn effect on the Internet. This sounds a lot like what you may be expereincing.
Dianadcr
on 3/16/12 6:46 am - Canada
Thanks will do. I know about the dawn effect. I just thought with not being on pills I wouldn't be experiencing these symptoms again.
  Diana

PaulaToronto
on 3/16/12 10:41 am - Toronto, Canada
I was told by the diabetic nurse that the morning fasting numbers are the last to improve.  I was having the same issue as you and this was news to me.  I had never hear this before from anyone.  Your AIC is probably good. Bring in your record of your numbers when you meet the nurse.  

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Most Active