Gym

Dianadcr
on 2/2/12 10:39 pm - Canada
I'm just about two weeks out and have been walking almost daily. I have a gym membership that I utilized regularly before surgery doing weight classes and spinning. I know it's too early for that but is there anything I can do now. Our gym does not have a pool.
  Diana

Monica M.
on 2/2/12 10:51 pm - Penetanguishene, Canada
how about the treadmill or elliptical? I know that you said that you're walking, but if you go there and walk, it'll get you into the routine of going to the gym anyway. I think you're still too early out to do any weights, but ...

momof4beautifulgirls
on 2/2/12 10:52 pm - Canada
I was just about to post something similiar.  I am 4 weeks out and want to join the gym.  I know I can probably do the cardio machines (treadmill, cycle), but I'm wondering about weights both for upper and lower body.  For upper body I guess I have to stick to 10lbs and under, but wonder about lower body.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Derek C.
on 2/2/12 11:23 pm - North Bay , Canada
Well ur in luck - i manage a fitness facility for the military, plus i had surgery back in August - based on reccommendations from TWH and knowing the fitness industry , really walking is your best friend for the first 4 weeks or so - as we all had a lifting restriction no weight training until 6-8 weeks out depending on how you are healing and nothing over 40 lbs until after 8 weeks.  In a reality your  best bets are swimming , aqua fitness or other low impact exercises are reccommended  such as swiss ball exercises, resitance tubing stretching , basically using your existing body weight as your resistance for now .  Additionally treadmill walking is good but ellipitcals are better as there is minimal impact and the motion is much more fluid.

Good luck on your journey

Surgery Date - AUGUST 22, 2011 - Ran first 5KM Race - Oct 14, 2012 (28 min)  - Currently maintaining a healthy 190 lbs and training for my first half marathon in the summer of 2013

Most Active